Join for free
RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2011, 05:28 PM

Transplants..........BBC Interview

Did anyone watch 'Breakfast' on BBC this morning. I usually catch a few minutes whilst eating my porridge.
Anyway, this morning there was an article on changing the Organ Donor scheme to automatically being opted in.

They interviewed a view of the great British public, and one woman or girl (wasn't watching at the time only listening) said.................'I think it's right, because most people don't need them when they're dead'......................

Priceless
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2011, 05:57 PM

Re: Transplants..........BBC Interview

I didn't see the programme but I heard an item on the radio about a doctor trying to make donorship the norm with opting out as the option.

I do carry a donor card. My neighbour's husband a lovely man had an extra 15 years of life after receiving a kidney donation.

When my husband died I had no hesitation in asking the doctors to harvest whatever they could and I derived a lot of comfort from knowing 5 people had their lives improved from the donations. It also made my husbands untimely death less of 'a waste'.

I do realise that some people are a bit squeamish about having bits removed from their body. For me the body is just a covering I use while I am here. When I am gone anyone is welcome to anything worth having
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2011, 07:09 PM

I do believe in donorship but I do not agree to parts being taken without consent.

Like Meg anyone is welcome to what they want from my Cadava, after which I am sure that the worms will thrive from what is left.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2011, 07:10 PM

She's right there Rockrider - you don't need 'em when your dead. I didn't see the programme, but I believe that actually opting out of organ donation is how things should be organised - but it does seem a bit goulish if you think too hard about the processes.
As long as relatives are satisfied that their loved ones are treated with respect and their body's useful bits are used quickly and effectively and then returned to the relatives (if that is what they wish) then I would be happy with having to actually make a decision to opt out of organ donation.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2011, 08:57 AM

After I've 'turned up my toes' surgeons can have whatever bits of me they want (I too carry a donor card) and I wholeheartedly agree with the idea of those not wanting to donate have to contract out.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

29-06-2011, 09:24 PM

I would think that an opting out system would go a long way in shortening the waiting lists for all sorts of transplant patients.

Having been the recipient of countless amounts of claret and blood serum which we rely on the public to supply, I am only too aware of how vital these things are.

The tragedy is that for a lot of us that would not hesitate to donate anything or everything, we are not accepted because of our medical situation.

Not much use alive and nobody wants any bits of me when I am brown bread.

Ho Hum
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2011, 07:05 AM

For over 30 years I was a blood donor but I was compulsorily retired some years ago (much to my chagrin) because of a lung problem which affects my breathing rate.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top