Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 03:46 PM

English Language

Okay, I am flummoxed! Although it is many years since I sat at a desk in school, I wasn't too bad at English Language. However, I know times change so maybe someone will inform me where I am going wrong.

I was going to type the following reply to Emjay when he said he had just had his flu jab.

Ouch Emjay, HWMO and me are going tomorrow morning for ours.

Grammarly then corrected me by stating I should change the word me to I. Fair enough, we have all heard the sentence....... and I.....but where I get confused is the word following the word I, ......I are..... doesn't make sense to me. Anyone explain please?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 03:50 PM

Re: English Language

The Queen would say, "My husband and I are ..." I think and it is The Queen's English.
Tezza
Kent
Tezza is male  Tezza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 03:51 PM

HWMO and I are going .... is fine. Or you could put me and HWMO are going...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 03:55 PM

Yes, it's correct to put my husband and I are going .....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 03:55 PM

According to Oxford Dictionary:-

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/usage/i-or-me
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 03:56 PM

There are two of you, so "are" is perfectly OK.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 03:57 PM

Thanks for that explanation everyone. It's just the I followed by the word are as one woulod not say..... I are going...... as a sentence, and that is what was confusing me. silly old duffer!

oops ..should I have said ...and that "was" what was confusing me......sigh!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 04:06 PM

Good innit?
We won't be avin one.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

28-09-2018, 04:10 PM

Yes, I can see that "HWMO and I are going tomorrow" is okay because there are two of us, but why then was I taught in school that no word should follow another which would not make sense if speaking it. For example, I wouldn't say in a sentence (without HWMO and) I are going tomorrow....

My English Language teacher was blooming wrong!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

28-09-2018, 04:14 PM

LOL, I hate injections. I'm making sure I'm first so I can sit and whimper while he has his. Wonder if they give lollipops to Pensioners as well as kids?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top