Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 04:05 PM

Hypnotism

Has anyone on this forum ever been hypnotised?

I think I have mentioned that in the 80s when we were living in Cambridgeshire we attended some event where there was a guy claiming he could use hypnotism to transport people back to past lives. Of course we thought it a load of nonsense, but my husband challenged the guy to come to our home and put it to the test using him as the guinea pig. The guy wanted £20 upfront when he arrived, which he was given. He went up to the lounge and started the business of trying to put my husband under. My daughters and I were listening outside the closed door. It was so hilarious we remember it clearly all these years later.

The Hypnotist. "You are feeling sleepy."

My Husband . "No I am not!"

This was repeated about 10 times, until the hypnotist decided to give it up as a bad job. He still walked away with his £20!

About 20 years ago I saw a hypnotherapist for help with a problem I had. I never felt out of control, but it did help a bit.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 04:12 PM

Re: Hypnotism

I hate to say this Tara but I read somewhere once you can't hypnotise someone against their will ... and you can't, so they say, hypnotise an idiot as their attention span is just too short to stay focused, but the easiest are the clever, intelligent folk.

I might have got that the wrong way around.

It's not something I'd ever fancy doing.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 04:16 PM

Never tried it personally so I'm not sure if it works or not.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 04:20 PM

My sister got hypnotised to quit smoking and it worked, she quit....but the foolish girl went back to it 3 years later as she got too fat.....it cost her $400.00 I think for 3 sessions.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 04:26 PM

My brother and sister-in-law both went at the same time to quit smoking.
She quit.
He lasted a couple of weeks and started again .. so it must depend on the person?

It could have been a cunning ploy on his part though as once they'd both quit she wanted the whole house redone ... carpets, curtains and furniture .. basically everything.. because it was impregnated with the smell of cigarettes.

I'm more curious to know if it helps people overcome phobias .. now that must be good and make a startling change/improvement to some people's quality of life if it works.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 04:32 PM

My daughter was hypnotised to give up smoking, didn't work but she is no longer afraid of spiders!
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
My brother and sister-in-law both went at the same time to quit smoking.
She quit.
He lasted a couple of weeks and started again .. so it must depend on the person?

It could have been a cunning ploy on his part though as once they'd both quit she wanted the whole house redone ... carpets, curtains and furniture .. basically everything.. because it was impregnated with the smell of cigarettes.

I'm more curious to know if it helps people overcome phobias .. now that must be good and make a startling change/improvement to some people's quality of life if it works.
Good post Morty

I have a couple of phobias I would like to overcome, but I don't think a hypnotist good get into my brain enough to accomplish this...

I used to be so afraid of spiders. I overcame it by picking one up in my hand and watching it wrap his thread around a tiny worm, and watching him do that so skillfully made me realze that every little "thing" has their own little skills to survive this planet...

My big phobia is heights....that is about it I think.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I hate to say this Tara but I read somewhere once you can't hypnotise someone against their will ... and you can't, so they say, hypnotise an idiot as their attention span is just too short to stay focused, but the easiest are the clever, intelligent folk.

I might have got that the wrong way around.

It's not something I'd ever fancy doing.

Even though he was very sceptical, my husband was up for it.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 05:42 PM

I've been hypnotised.
He just spoke to me in a calm voice - told me I was feeling sleepy - and I was gone!!

I remember waking up half way through and started crying. He told me to go back to sleep & I did.

It proved to me that hypnotism is real, but it didn't help with my problem, so for me it was a waste of time & money.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 06:17 PM

I’ve been hypnotized by psychiatrists and it most definitely works and not meaning to get into a debate about this but it most certainly CAN be done on people against their will. Some people are more susceptible to hypnosis than others. Two different psychiatrists have put me into deep hypnosis and it’s amazing the places you can go while under.

I’ve also been to a few entertainment shows where my friends ,who swore they couldn’t be hypnotized , DID and then couldn’t remember squat and they were funny as ever.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top