Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
blueskies
New Member!
Tarpon Springs, Florida
blueskies is female 

20-06-2011, 01:30 PM

Thunder, Lightening or Fireworks?

My Yorkie has a REAL problem with loud noises.......Thunder and now Fireworks just send him into a quivering mass of terror!!!

Anyone else have this problem? Any solution advice?
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2011, 02:51 PM

Re: Thunder, Lightening or Fireworks?

We used to have a dog that climbed into the wardrobe and hid every time it thundered. He never got out of the habit no matter how hard we tried to educate it.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2011, 04:29 PM

We had a collie who was not happy with fireworks and he got worse with age. Best thing we did for him was to let him go where felt safest (which was in the understairs cupboard) and then we put a radio in with him to try and detract from the noise. Once a dog becomes frightened by fireworks etc. it is very difficult to remedy things for them. My flatcoated retrievers on the other hand, were impervious to the noises of fireworks, thunder, etc., even to the point of being interested in watching fireworks in the sky. Funny how they could be so different when they were treated exactly the same.
RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2011, 04:31 PM

We have a 12 year old cross, a bit like a King Charles, that is a quivering, heavy breathing mess whenever there is a thunderstorm within 20 miles.
It's that bad that we now have tranquilizers from the vet, (for her, not us).

It is, however, getting better, mainly because she is going deaf.

Sometimes, though, she's that bad we worry about her having a heart attack.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2011, 06:00 PM

My labs have been impervious as well, I used to make a point of taking them out into the garden when fireworks were going off and ignoring the noise myself, but then again they are gun dogs...

It will be interesting to see how our new cockapoo fares, but he has certainly shown no nervousness yet, just curiosity..
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2011, 06:30 PM

Well my Phoebe (Cavalier King Charles) has no problems about any noises, neither did my other Cav but its the first breed I have had that isnt petrified by any bangs. We always went into the hall and put the radio on and sang( is this woman completely mental) we are a family of stair sitters and I really miss the stairs now I am in a Park Home.
Odie
Ontario, Canada
Odie is female  Odie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2011, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by blueskies ->

My Yorkie has a REAL problem with loud noises.......Thunder and now Fireworks just send him into a quivering mass of terror!!!

Hi blueskies

My 5 cats are the same as your Yorkie, they run furiously and hide whereve they can.

Can you put him downstairs when these things happen?
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2011, 03:04 PM

Both my Border Collie and German Shepherd were terrified of fireworks, lightening etc. We placed heavy blankets up at all the windows, TVs & radios on. Bobby (BC) used to try and climb inside the PC printer, shaking, drooling and would not move from it. Murphy (GSD) would climb on my lap (he was bigger than me) and my husband would cover us over with a blanket. One day I had to look after Hooch as well, my daughter's dog. She tied a tea-towel tightly around his ears and it calmed him down, he looked like an old washer-woman and you had to laugh. Didn't work on my two. Our cat Sparky was not in the slightest bothered, you could almost see him sneering at them all.
RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
.............Bobby (BC) used to try and climb inside the PC printer, shaking, drooling and would not move from it..........
That's just like our Chica, under my desk and tries to get around the back of the PC, NOT a good idea.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

21-06-2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by blueskies ->

Aaaawww , poor wee sausage

Stick a pair of headphones on him and play Kylie Minogue on a loop for him .......... LOLOL ......... He`ll never forgive you but it will make him forget about the Thunder and Fireworks .........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top