Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 08:42 PM

Hurricane Party

We have a Cat 1 hurricane coming ashore. It's the perfect kind of storm - lots of wind an rain, without any real damage. Power will come and go, and there might be a little flooding.

There is hysteria on the local news, water and candles are no long on the grocery shelves.

I spent yesterday making sure several elderly people with pets had groceries, candles, water, and pet food - along with a way to be evacuated if they were worried.

Now we are safe, prepared, and snuggled inside, I am throwing a little hurricane party this evening. Just dinner, good wine, and good conversation while wait this thing out. Everyone is bringing something prepared from their freezer as most items will be thawing when the power goes out.

How do you do during "major" events, weather or otherwise? Are you calm, concerned, or throw caution to the wind?

Current radar, upper bands moving north. Center about 200 miles away. It can be seen in the lower left side of the yellow bands.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0278.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	7141

First rain band 30 mins. ago. Waves still only about 4-5 feet.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0276.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	7142

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 08:46 PM

Re: Hurricane Party

Hi Surfermom.

We don't really get weather as dramatic as you get there, but a hurricane party sounds great. I love dramatic weather and would love to be in the thick of it.

Perhaps not as bad as they are getting in Japan at the moment though.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 09:10 PM

I do get worried when we have storms here , of course nothing like you have , so I hope you all will be safe . I know it's daft but last year I was scared my bedroom windows would blow in the wind was so strong . I'm on my own so get anxious. I do love a thunderstorm though , but scarey in case I'm hit by lightening
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

Now we are safe, prepared, and snuggled inside, I am throwing a little hurricane party this evening. Just dinner, good wine, and good conversation while wait this thing out.
Sounds rather inviting, under the circumstances.

I get nervous when we have a bit of thunder and lightening, especially if I'm at home and it's night time.
I'm better if there's other people around. There just never seems to be people around when there's a storm

Hope everything will be ok for you over there SM.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 09:38 PM

Surfermom, It doesn’t seem any time since you were coping with your last catastrophic weather conditions.
You seem to take it all in your stride though!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 09:38 PM

We don't get as severe as you but we get bad compared to the mainland

I remember New Years Day a few years back, cooking for 10 and the power going out every 30 minutes

We have also had such cold weather the heating oil froze

So now we are prepared. We have coal and stoves for heating and we can use that heat for hot water.

The house is awash with candle, lamps, wind up torches and lamps, wind up radios and we have a canister stove

We all check on each other in the hamlet to make sure we all have food and warmth and we just ride it out
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 09:45 PM

I get really scared about storms.
A little clap of thunder and I am under the table. I'm such a baby. But maybe some wine might help.
Have a lovely time Surferbabe. Stay safe. X
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 09:49 PM

Hi SM, thankfully I've never been where there is a hurricane, I think I might be frightened though as I hate it when it thunders and lightens and I run for cover as like an idiot I always think I'm gonna get struck, I'm a born worrier.

How lovely of you to be so neighbourly and making sure those old folk are well prepared.

Enjoy your party lovely lady, you deserve to.

Big hugs and keep safe my friend. x
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I get really scared about storms.
A little clap of thunder and I am under the table. I'm such a baby. But maybe some wine might help.
Have a lovely time Surferbabe. Stay safe. X
Next time a thunderstorm I'll get the wine in and we'll party through the storm Sweets hehe x
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Next time a thunderstorm I'll get the wine in and we'll party through the storm Sweets hehe x
Sounds good to me my lovely. X
You missed my posts when I was in Bulgaria! I was petrified.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top