Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 07:03 PM

Whatever next.

Whatever will they think of next!

I have just received this message from my local Neighbourhood Alert system, and thought I would pass it on for you to see.

Seems to me, whatever we do, unless we shut ourselves in a fortress for the rest of our lives, thieves will always find a way to commit crime if they want to.

I can't live being afraid every day of someone breaking in, or stealing my car, hitting me over the head, stealing my dogs, or all the other horrid things that happen every day.
Have a look at this new alert come today:

There is an increasing risk of motorists having their car stolen using a ‘relay attack’. One criminal uses a device to receive the key signal from inside the home, transferring the signal to a second box, which is placed alongside the car. In effect, this tricks the car into ‘thinking’ the key is there, allowing the thieves to unlock the vehicle and drive away. Although the signal can pass through doors, walls and windows, it cannot penetrate metal, so placing the keys inside a metal box, signal blocking wallet or safe will protect your vehicle from a ‘relay attack’.

I also heard that a dog is stolen every 5 hours now.
Thieves are breaking into houses, or stealing those that are locked alone in cars, and taken from outside shops when people tie them up outside.

The most alarming newer method I have just heard of is dogs being taken off their owners while the owner is walking them.

Apparently this is becoming more common now, when we take our dogs out in the car to let them run free in more remote areas.
These thieves wait in these areas for dog walkers then make their get away in another vehicle. No one about for miles, so even if you carry a personal alarm, there would be no one around to help you.
I sometimes take mine along a remote cart track, miles away from everything, it is so quiet and peaceful there, but now I'm thinking twice about it.

How much fight could a lone woman put up against a couple of burly blokes?

What is the answer to this sort of crime I wonder . . .
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 07:11 PM

Re: Whatever next.

Tis grim up north.

Re the bit about car remotes, I've been keeping my fob in a baccy tin for years, no prob.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 07:53 PM

Well on the car fob front, I ain't got one. It's the old fashioned advance the key towards the lock, open it type

On someone pinching the dog, I ain't got one of those either

But thanks for the heads up Mups.
Burglars, muggers, crime in general, you can do everything possible to make your property safe and take care outside the house. But they will always manage to commit their crimes no matter what we do to protect ourselves I'm afraid.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Whatever will they think of next!

I have just received this message from my local Neighbourhood Alert system, and thought I would pass it on for you to see.

Seems to me, whatever we do, unless we shut ourselves in a fortress for the rest of our lives, thieves will always find a way to commit crime if they want to.

I can't live being afraid every day of someone breaking in, or stealing my car, hitting me over the head, stealing my dogs, or all the other horrid things that happen every day.
Have a look at this new alert come today:

There is an increasing risk of motorists having their car stolen using a ‘relay attack’. One criminal uses a device to receive the key signal from inside the home, transferring the signal to a second box, which is placed alongside the car. In effect, this tricks the car into ‘thinking’ the key is there, allowing the thieves to unlock the vehicle and drive away. Although the signal can pass through doors, walls and windows, it cannot penetrate metal, so placing the keys inside a metal box, signal blocking wallet or safe will protect your vehicle from a ‘relay attack’.

I also heard that a dog is stolen every 5 hours now.
Thieves are breaking into houses, or stealing those that are locked alone in cars, and taken from outside shops when people tie them up outside.

The most alarming newer method I have just heard of is dogs being taken off their owners while the owner is walking them.

Apparently this is becoming more common now, when we take our dogs out in the car to let them run free in more remote areas.
These thieves wait in these areas for dog walkers then make their get away in another vehicle. No one about for miles, so even if you carry a personal alarm, there would be no one around to help you.
I sometimes take mine along a remote cart track, miles away from everything, it is so quiet and peaceful there, but now I'm thinking twice about it.

How much fight could a lone woman put up against a couple of burly blokes?

What is the answer to this sort of crime I wonder . . .
The answer is to have police actually investigate these terrible crimes rather than investigating all the stupid things that go on here.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 08:38 PM

Bro and SiL, when they bought their car a few months ago, ordered those signal blocking wallets. I keep meaning to get a couple, but have had my car 15 years now! Might think about keeping the keys in my cash box, though.

As for my dog, I am alert when out, and if I think someone is acting suspiciously will stop and allow them to go past. But of course that doesn’t happen all the time.

My upstairs neighbour says she worries about me going out late (anytime between 10-11), but I don’t feel unsafe.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The answer is to have police actually investigate these terrible crimes rather than investigating all the stupid things that go on here.
A bit of "so called" hate speech on social media and they'll be round like a rocket!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
A bit of "so called" hate speech on social media and they'll be round like a rocket!!
Exactly mate. Old ladies serving tea without a licence, that sort of thing.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 09:59 PM

It’s only the keyless entry systems that are prone to these attacks, if you have to use a key to open your car you should be ok, however, a thief can break into your car and plug a computer into the obd port, ( on board diagnostics, where the garage can plug their computer in to read fault codes,
and steal your car that way..
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 10:16 PM

We get people stealing dogs here in Somerset, they even call dogs that are being walked by their owners, I haven't heard of anything close by since I moved here but in the village where I used to live there were men trying to entice dogs into their van and in the car park by the woods too.
Lots of van break ins lately! People are putting cameras up.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 10:18 PM

I'm afraid that crime of all sorts is on the increase in this country.

The causes:

- lack of police
- police being ordered to concentrate on 'trendy' offences
- judiciary being ridiculously lenient on those offenders brought to court
- police quite possibly 'giving up' due to the above
- convicted criminals being released from prison early

Those responsible:

- trendy do-gooders
- out of touch judges
- senior policepersons failing to apply resources to the important offences
- a hopelessly ineffective Home Secretary (Theresa May)
- a hopelessly ineffective Prime Minister (Theresa May)

What can we do about it?:

- vote UKIP
- arm ourselves
- emigrate
- become a criminal
- give up and do nothing

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top