Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 09:36 PM

Buying on Credit

Hi

I have a dark brown leather suite, it is big and just does not fit in with new smaller house.

I went to DFS today, looked at their clearance stuff, they had a customer return, lovely ivory leather three and two seater sofa, marked down to £800.

I will have that I thought and went to find someone to pay for it.

I want this delivered asap, I am local, less than a mile away.

Have you got your driving licence and a utility bill?

What on earth for?

The Interest Free Credit.

I don't want credit, I want to pay for it now, debit card or give me 20 minutes and you can have cash.

But we do 4 years interest free credit.

I don't want credit, I don't do credit, I want to pay for it.

We need to identify you, all to do with money laundering and things.

I want to buy a sofa, not a Kalashnikov.

I will have to get a manager he said.

I will see if I can find one.

Oh Forget it.

Is it any wonder these places are going out of business?

It was so frustrating.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 09:42 PM

Re: Buying on Credit

Yes, I can relate to that - daft innit?

'Forget it', and walk away. Just what I would've done too
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 09:48 PM

DFS have to sell you the credit, its how they make their money

Cash buyers they hate

Currys are the same, have to sell you an extended warranty as well as trying to set you up on credit

Cash buyers just don't make them money
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 09:48 PM

yes it is frustation, now by law companies are not allowed to accept cash over a certain amount. Makes you feel as if you are a criminal spending stolen money, they even want proof of where the money is coming from. even cheques are looked at with suspicion. When we bought our cars
we had to wait for the amount to be cleared via our bank/building society before we could have them.

I suppose companies have been ripped off so many times the law had to be bought in to stop illegal transactions

AS Missy says, nothing more annoying than salespersons trying to add on extended warranty on a purchase. Goods come with a 1 yr cover anyway. Try asking if that warranty starts AFTER the manufactures own, No it doesn't .

So you could be paying for a 3 year warranty whereas in truth you are only getting year 2 and 3 cover as year one is already covered.

Try asking what the cover consists of as well. This will also piss off the sales person as usually they don't know
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 09:56 PM

Never mind the credit - Ivory leather?! You will pay a serious amount in cleaning!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 10:01 PM

Such things can be annoying but I'd have hung in there, gone along with the procedure and come away with the sofas I wanted.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 10:09 PM

DFS do interest free, ours finish in December.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 10:22 PM

Had a similar issue with our American style fridge freezer.
It cost about a grand.
They wanted it to be a credit transaction.
"We will pay cash now. Can we get a discount?"
All they wanted to was to get the extra for their five year extended warranty. They tried hard. Very hard.

"Do you really think it will fail in under five years?"
We just walked out.
Got it elsewhere. And here we are nearly 20 years later with the same unit.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 04:16 AM

Last year I received some inheritance and after paying off some debts, treating the family and booking a holiday I decided that my dad would have wanted me to have at least something for myself. So I bought a car and paid cash (a single payment on my debit card).

All the way through my meeting with the sales rep he kept on trying to change my mind about wanting to pay cash and suggested payment over many years instead. I explained I did not want any further debt and almost closed the deal there and then until he relented.

What's the matter with these people that they can almost willingly turn down twelve grand for their business?
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 05:22 AM

There's a big electrical goods retailer here called The Good Guys.
We went there a lot,for years their motto was "Pay Less Pay Cash"
But they were bought by a rival and they don't offer that option anymore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top