Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 09:35 PM

What did you think of the mothers of kids in your childhood?

Back in the old days of black and white when things and people were grim.

I'm thinking of those cases where you might knock on their door, say, to walk to school with their child and have to wait while he gets ready.

Looking back they tended to be somewhat unwelcoming really. Possibly making snide comments - going by the odd ones that got back (I suppose kids can report these things more than "polite" grown-ups). At least that is my reading of them in those days. They didn't even seem to make a "fuss" about their own kids (when you compare them to now).

I don't watch Soaps but I have long suspected they have changed behavior for the better.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 09:42 PM

Re: What did you think of the mothers of kids in your childhood?

There is a lot to be said for the Pre-ism days, not always good, but not shrouded in Bullshit.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 10:47 PM

I thought that mothers of other children were part of an intricate spy network that reported all childhood behavior to every other mother.

I was right.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 10:54 PM

I went to school in the fifties. Looking back, all the mothers looked so old, even though I imagine, most were only in their 20s & 30s. Those were really hard times.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 11:13 PM

I don't recall any parents of friends being scary or unfriendly. They were always kind and caring. Maybe it's down to who you knew? The older ladies who went to our church were another matter....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
I went to school in the fifties. Looking back, all the mothers looked so old, even though I imagine, most were only in their 20s & 30s. Those were really hard times.
I think headscarves were the fashion then? Headscarves would make any woman look old.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I think headscarves were the fashion then? Headscarves would make any woman look old.
Aye, and a few of them always seemed to have those small tight curling pins in as constant feature. Presumably they took them out at weekends so they could go out leaving us kids at home with a baby sitter. Ours (Pauline) wasn't much older than us kids - she was thirteen, but I don't think our mother new. She must have looked older for her age.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 11:32 PM

The mothers in our neighbourhood were awesome. Every morning when I went to walk to school I’d go to my girlfriends house and her mom would always make sure I had on warm mittens and a hat because often I didn’t. ( in the winter )

Almost every afternoon , after school , I went over to their house until it was their dinner time. They invited me to family picnics and made me feel like part of their family. If it weren’t for the mothers around our neighbourhood I would not have grown up like I had , so I am truly grateful.

Most of the moms in our neighbourhood were friendly and welcoming but back then kids played with each other. We played so many games together as a group that the mothers always knew where we were. It was great
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 11:45 PM

The mums on my estate could be a bit snobby ... but they did have a sense of humour.

I remember rolling up punctual for an invite to a friend's party at 4pm on a Saturday afternoon .. in my party frock, my piggy little face all full of anticipation, gripping my friend's present.

Except I was the only one. Me own mum had got the wrong day hadn't she and sent me off down the road like a right nit.
I had to go back 4pm on the next day, Sunday. I had a bad feeling about going and didn't want to. I got teased something terrible. by me mates mum, me mate, all the kids at the party ... their cat, the neighbours dog ... you get the drift.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 01:12 AM

At least in our childhood our mothers felt more or less reassured in their belief that we were safe playing out on the streets and were relatively free from harm. Getting into trouble, maybe, but becoming victims of paedophilia, abduction and so on wasn't really a concern in those days.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top