Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 08:44 PM

The High Street

Just been watching a programme on TV about the High Streets in England.

How businesses have to close up because of the High Rates and nobody is going into the shops they are all buying on-line.

They want to try and stop people from buying on-line but to get people to come to the High Street, also have a Free 2/3 hrs parking in the High Street.

What do you think?

I think its a very good idea.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 09:26 PM

Re: The High Street

Free parking a definite positive. We have a few national chain stores but not many independent firms so choice is limited. Out of town retail park has taken trade away, miss the market days they just can't compete.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 09:32 PM

Free parking certainly is a positive yes, but it's still not as easy as ordering something from your phone. I do like the experience of actually going out shopping but using Amazon and other sites is so much quicker for many of us who have little time on our hands.

It is a shame for businesses having to shut up shop, and even more so for employees to love their jobs and livelihoods though and I do wonder what the end result of all this will be. Will town centres have their premises converted into become housing estates with skate parks and drunks and drug users causing havoc. Unfortunately it appears to be the case very soon.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 09:35 PM

Why do council charge so much rent and business rates. Surely it's in their interest to let the shops? The small shops have to charge high prices just to break even. Do the Councils want them to fail so they can sell to developers?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Why do council charge so much rent and business rates. Surely it's in their interest to let the shops? The small shops have to charge high prices just to break even. Do the Councils want them to fail so they can sell to developers?
I always wonder what the first floor is used for in many shops, those blacked out windows above the ground floor?
Could they not be used for letting out, or is there some sort of law forbidding it in retail stores?
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

23-08-2018, 10:01 PM

Its so sad to see our High Streets disappearing. I much prefer to go shopping in actual shops. But can fully understand how shops are closing down with such high rent, rates and parking charges. I see lots of the smaller market towns in Lincolnshire are going back to having free parking in an attempt to encourage people back into the towns.

It really is a matter of use it or lose it.
Andwar
Bristol, UK.
Andwar is male  Andwar has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 10:05 PM

Where I live in Yate there is a dedicated shopping centre in the middle of the town which was built in the 60's and it is thriving.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I always wonder what the first floor is used for in many shops, those blacked out windows above the ground floor?
Could they not be used for letting out, or is there some sort of law forbidding it in retail stores?
Yes, it's worrying!

Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 10:20 PM

We have a shopping precinct not far from us. It has a few discount stores, fast food, a second hand camera shop etc, but no department stores. Quite a few in there have closed down in the time we've been here. There is no parking so we use the nearby ASDA and that gives you free parking for just one hour.

We have moved from high street shopping to retail parks with ample parking in about a generation.
But I think even retail parks will feel the pinch, are feeling the pinch.

We can and do pretty much all our shopping on line. My dear wife goes about one a week with a neighbour but it's more of a social vent than a serious shopping trip.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 10:44 PM

Cash starved councils make money from the high rates. So we will end up with more take aways etc.

Free parking is definitely helpful. I only tend to drive to places where I can park for free. It's not really about the money, but the inconvenience of having to worry about pfaffing about with tickets and finding a parking place in the first place. I have this ring-go app now where you can pay for parking using an online account but you still have to find a bay. Then you have to find the number of the ticket machine. It's such a pain in the neck when you have things to do.

I have a parking permit that covers residents parking and much of the local high street. But the council has reduced the number of bays or there are yellow lines. The local high street doesn't have any decent shops other than a couple of supermarkets.

Other high streets have shops I'd like to go to but it's a real pain parking anywhere nearby. If I buy something from a shop it will be somewhere like in a retail park where you can find a space and don't have to pay. But if everyone started to go back to the high street you end up with nowhere to park and driving in circles for an hour.

I would pay extra for online shopping if that's what they will try to do. It won't save the high street because shopping online is far easier and saves a heck of a load of time.

This is part of the AI revolution and they can try to hold back the waves but this is the way we are headed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top