Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 04:45 PM

Visual Pollution

Just back from skirting a good portion of the country and walking around several airports this summer....

Is it my imagination but do things look considerably worse than they used to from people to roadsides - at a time in which the economy is fairly good?

It seems like people used to make a more effort in the appearance of their businesses, property, communities, and themselves.

Metal buildings, ugly signs, roadside trash, shabby personal appearance...assaults to the eyes everywhere.

Does it matter? Am I off in thinking that we really should be trying a little harder?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 05:01 PM

Re: Visual Pollution

Not where I live, but some of the towns further south are becoming a bit grim.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 05:06 PM

Firstly Surferbabe, welcome back, we all missed you.

Secondly, when I was in Bulgaria, I was totally shocked at finding people LIVING in sheds, with no facilities, they used candles and the launderette for the toilet facilities.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 05:20 PM

As you may be awawre im fond of taking photographs, and our main city square used to a gathering place for many groups of folks over the decades.

Mods, Rockers, Hippies, Skins, Heavys, New Romantics, Goths Emo`s all have added too the fashion of the day.

Nowadays like the High Streets all starting to look the same no characters, looking all the same, such a shame individuality being squashed.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Firstly Surferbabe, welcome back, we all missed you.

Secondly, when I was in Bulgaria, I was totally shocked at finding people LIVING in sheds, with no facilities, they used candles and the launderette for the toilet facilities.
It's wonderful to be to be back and see you too, SP!

There are 600,000 million people in the world without proper toilet facilities, SP. Isn't that unimaginable?

I think what is bothering me is people who have the means to make an effort who have little inclination to do so.

Why litter? Why allow city councils to permit erecting giant billboards or allow abandoned buildings to become drug houses or stand in sad decay? Why not pitch to paint and spruce up the elderly lady's house down the street? Why not put on actual clothes instead of pyjamas when one flies commercially? Why allow our national parks to be clear cut leaving the ravages of their work behind? (With more to add, empathetically ends rant to spare the forum.)

You have been around the American South, SP, what was your impression?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

22-08-2018, 05:40 PM

Nom, do you find it harder to set up the frame to exclude things that are less appealing in your photos?

Roxy, you are most fortunate. I don't think I've seen many more lovely spots than yours!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Nom, do you find it harder to set up the frame to exclude things that are less appealing in your photos?
Yes so much unneeded street furniture sins etc spoiling the view of important buildings and monuments, places of rest dr surrounded by visual flotsam and jetsom, so distracting on the eye.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 05:48 PM

It's wonderful to be to be back and see you too, SP!

There are 600,000 million people in the world without proper toilet facilities, SP. Isn't that unimaginable?

I think what is bothering me is people who have the means to make an effort who have little inclination to do so.

Why litter? Why allow city councils to permit erecting giant billboards or allow abandoned buildings to become drug houses or stand in sad decay? Why not pitch to paint and spruce up the elderly lady's house down the street? Why not put on actual clothes instead of pyjamas when one flies commercially? Why allow our national parks to be clear cut leaving the ravages of their work behind? (With more to add, empathetically ends rant to spare the forum.)

You have been around the American South, SP, what was your impression?
Ok, a bit at a time. In the roadside services in the UK, there are signs alerting us to the fact that many countries less fortunate than ours do not have toilets. Also that the young girls in Africa have no means to buy sanitary products.

Many derelict buildings in Lisbon have been spruced up with paintings, this allows them to become a tourist attraction, in poor areas, thus allowing provision and work in neglected areas. As tourists like food and drink, as well as souvenirs.

My impression of the deep South was although in some areas, it is well kept and very flashy. Hidden behind this false exterior, hides the truth, rather like the back streets that I found in Bulgaria.

You cannot save the world Surferbabe, but you can raise awareness.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 06:19 PM

Roxy, you are most fortunate. I don't think I've seen many more lovely spots than yours!
There's nothing much to do way up here and that's what saves us. Unless your a Rough Country Lover then you head back to the towns pretty quick.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

22-08-2018, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Ok, a bit at a time. In the roadside services in the UK, there are signs alerting us to the fact that many countries less fortunate than ours do not have toilets. Also that the young girls in Africa have no means to buy sanitary products.

That's really interesting, SP. Is the purpose of the signs to raise awareness?

Many derelict buildings in Lisbon have been spruced up with paintings, this allows them to become a tourist attraction, in poor areas, thus allowing provision and work in neglected areas. As tourists like food and drink, as well as souvenirs.

Yes, true! In southern California I have seen some similar projects done with spectacular murals created by Central American artists that stems from a rich history of mural work. It also cuts down on graffiti.

My impression of the deep South was although in some areas, it is well kept and very flashy. Hidden behind this false exterior, hides the truth, rather like the back streets that I found in Bulgaria.

I think you saw what most of us see when we are tourists in cities around the world. You are spot on about the hidden poverty. There are areas of Louisiana that the state and cities still haven't cleaned up after hurricanes that hit thirteen years ago. Somehow I feel like we have lost our sense of pride in just walking away from such places.

You cannot save the world Surferbabe, but you can raise awareness.
Yep, I guess we are just little ants carrying off one little grain of sand at a time. Altogether, it makes for some impressive little anthills, I suppose

Sorry to have proposed so many thoughts at a time, SP.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top