Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 08:54 AM

What item do you wish you had kept?

In the early 60s a plane crashed into one of my father's fields. He and his staff were first on the scene, which was rather gruesome. The pilot and co-pilot were dead, I believe one of them had been decapitated! The passengers were alive, but hurt.

When my sisters and I got home from school we went to have a look at the scene, which was being guarded by the police, who let us through when we explained the field belonged to our father! Even more incredible they allowed us each to take a piece of wreckage as a souvenir!

We brought it home and placed it in our large toy cupboard in the breakfast room, in which her ewe here we had a shelf each. Some years later my mother had the breakfast room remodelled, our toy cupboard, which we had long outgrown, was removed. We were not happy girls when we discovered our mother had got rid of our pieces of wreckage without consulting us first! I would have kept mine, a bazaar souvenir to say the least, but it would have been something to show my children and grandchildren.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 09:02 AM

Re: What item do you wish you had kept?

As a youth we used to buy old motorcycles for just a few pounds and ride them around a farmer's field until they were wrecked. We would then proceed to take down to the scrapyard who would pay us around ten bob then we would save up a few more pounds from our Saturday jobs and go and buy another one and repeat the process.

Looking back now some of those motorcycles were rare even then, and if not for our cultural vandalism some would now be worth tens of thousands of pounds..... a few of them would have made me quite a rich man methinks...
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 09:12 AM

I wish I'd kept the boxes my kids Barbie and Star Wars toys came in. They sell on Ebay for a small fortune with the box. lol.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 09:40 AM

My first camera ... I bought it secondhand (from a friend) at the ripe old age of 30.

©Wikipedia
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 10:10 AM

My mothers old mangle
They go for a bomb now as garden antiques .
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 10:25 AM

I wish I'd kept my Mini It was the first car I ever bought with my own money, I have never felt the same about any other car since.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 10:39 AM

I don't suppose we ever gave a thought back in the 1950's that the toys we had back then would ever fetch high prices now, if we had kept them. Dinky toys were there to be played with not kept in boxes to be looked at. Same with clockwork train sets by Hornby now worth a fortune.

I would have loved to have kept my first car a 1954 Ford Anglia 100e now a classic . I remember it cost me £125 second hand, lets see when would that have been? erm about 1962 I think and only got it as I had saved every penny since I left school
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
I wish I'd kept my Mini It was the first car I ever bought with my own money, I have never felt the same about any other car since.
Our first car was a mini.
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 10:43 AM

My first car was a 1949 Vauxhall Wyvern, same as the taxi in heartbeat
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 10:54 AM

My Beatles Flexi singles and Cards from the Sixties, worth a fortune now in good condition.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top