Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2011, 09:52 PM

What's wrong with the world?

A what's wrong with the world thread with a difference!

Don't just say what's wrong with the world, but link it to what you think the cause is, and link that to something too if you can - so we trickle down to the root, eg:

Wars > greed

and

Stupid people > poor upbringing > lack of education and healthy food > poverty

and

Criminals > greed > stupid people > poor upbringing > lack of education and healthy food > poverty

and

Criminals (type 2!) > greed > stupid people > lack of morals > poor upbringing

It's actually quite hard to pinpoint the 'root'
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

07-06-2011, 10:10 PM

Re: What's wrong with the world?

I think inthe UK it steadily got worse when we adopted the " sue " culture of America !

People and organisations began to be very fearful that someone might make a claim so started to cover their asses big time ...... Typica example being KP stating on a bag of Peanuts " this product contains nuts " , I mean WTF ! ! !

This , and our take on " Human Rights " , which we Brits have taken to a whole new level , so much so that we are now fearful of even opening our gobs for fear of offending someone or doing something wrong ........... Kids picked up on this and ergo have zero respect as they know we cant touch the wee sods

The developing world is cos of greed from former occupiers , lack of education ( IMHO ) ad naseum ...........

I could go on about this forever and a day , but I wont
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2011, 12:20 PM

It all went wrong when the PC brigade abolished corporal punishment - bring it back in schools and at home and we will cure most of the juvenile delinquency.

As for the rest of it - the Human Rights Act has been a good piece of legislation in the absence of a 'written constitution' which guarantees 'our' rights against the 'executive'.

With respect to the Legal system - that too all went wrong when the previous Conservative Government and then 'New Labour' (phth, phth, phth) in the guise of Lord Derry Irvine abolished substantial parts of the Legal Aid system and allowed Solicitors and Barristers to 'ambulance chase', which has grown into a huge industry of legal action for the slightest thing.
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2011, 03:17 PM

Rather a touchy subject is this and we all must have our different views and reasons but regarding nanny state Britain I am in full agreement with uncle Joe regarding corporal punishment. Respect for people and property has declined at an alarming rate since the do gooders and hand wringers took over, even the much maligned police forces are working with hands tied owing to the crass stupidity and sheer incompetence of the bewigged buffoons and their ilk who are supposed to be dispensing justice, what a sad lot they are, totally out of touch with the real world as are most politicians.
One could go on and on about the world where it seems nobody wants peace and again the word respect is alien to the majority and where will it all end if ever? I have always been an optimist but at times it becomes so very difficult to maintain that stance. Hope you are all having a nice day anyway
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2011, 05:25 PM

I have to agree with what Bob.b says, it is a touchy subject, but on the whole I think what the 3 posters have said cover most of what I would say too.
Greed is the biggest offender in my book, people are not as contented as they were, everybody wants everything and they want it now, don't they realise that everyone ends up in a box, no matter what you have?.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2011, 06:04 PM

Where have we gone wrong? It used to be said that with rights came responsibility, now everyone just have rights.....
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2011, 07:34 PM

Maybe I am just being old fashioned but when the real concept of marriage went out of the window and it became fashionable for people to live together then get married with their children as bridesmaids or pageboys or even the bride dressed in white going up the aisle with a "baby bump" on display then to my mind this practice amongst many things seriously eroded respect in a big way allowing discipline to become a thing of the past, especially in the family home and schools. Yes I may be old fashioned in my views on those scores but I am glad that when I was young respect for people and property was the norm and of paramount importance. Purely my personal opinion of course.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2011, 07:50 PM

Nothing is wrong with MY world.

Unless you are a moaning old has bean

I see the same old things that where going on in the fifties that OLD people moaned about as they are moaning about now.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2011, 08:15 PM

Ah but, Ah but, Ah but (as she says) once you get to a certain age it is your perogative to have a moan about what the younger ones are up to if that is what you feel like. Personally, I think I might be a bit jealous of the freedom folks have these days, especially us women.
Stuff happened when we were younger, but it was more covert - shame and scandal still played a large part in controlling us. My generation was in the throes of getting used to and accepting the freedoms that came with being a "modern" female in the 60's. It was quite exciting and really something, but a challenge to accept the responsibility that came with the freedom to choose.
In the 60's I worked a few doors up from an unmarried mother's home run by nuns and it was not a happy place. Most of the babies were given up for adoption once born, because the mother had no support and it was considered shameful to be in there - even if she had a boyfriend many unmarried did not have much choice when put under pressure. There was a lot of heartache and I am glad it doesn't happen today. I would not want women to go back to that.
I can't moan about the younger generation. I envy younger people in today's world and I wish I was still young, but with the knowledge and experience I have gained through ageing. Oh boy, would I make things happen.
Bob.b
Nottingham UK

10-06-2011, 10:27 PM

Lovely sentiments Aerolor, I suppose the bottom line would be "whatever rocks your boat" I find one thing quite amusing in these days of "progress", the use of the "naughty step" by modern parents, when one of my nieces told her little daughter to go and sit on the naughty step, she showed her to my stairway LOL, I thought to myself "what a load of old cobblers" But naturally kept my thoughts to myself, yes it's a great old world, full of super nannies, do gooders and hand wringers, life has never been so good has it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top