Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2011, 07:18 PM

Appendix.

My Brother was telling me on the phone today that his Daughter has to have an appendix operation next week, nothing serious, but I thought it a bit odd getting it done at her age (31), I thought only younger people had this trouble, I was 16 when I had it, years later my Daughter at 12 and then my son at 10, makes me think it may run in Families. Anyone have it done over 30?, and anyone else in the Family get it done besides you?. I'm just curious to know.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2011, 08:45 PM

Re: Appendix.

Jemflux, about 5 years ago, one of my Sisters had her appendix removed-she was 52. Had suffered a 'grumbling appendix' on and off for a number of years. Kept taking her into hospital and sending her home once it settled down. Eventually decided to operate-she was fine afterwards. I had mine removed when I was about 10 if I remember rightly.

Hope all goes well for your Niece....
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2011, 09:26 PM

Thanks Merz, thats very reassuring to hear, I'm very fond of the Girl, the Wife and me used to babysit her years ago.
I have some scary memories of having mine removed in the early sixties, an Egor-type hospital porter approaching my bed, dressed in a brown shop coat with an enamel bowl and shaving brush in hand, then the priest to say a few encouraging words, I really thought I was a gonner, but then I was only 16 and my first time in hospital, the nurses had a good laugh at the state of terror I was in.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2011, 10:11 PM

Remember well when I had mine out Jemflux....glad it wasn't nothing like your experience! About 6 of us were sat on this trolley and wheeled down to theatre-was like a 'production line'. I was given this black balloon to blow up and burst-don't know what was in it, but the next thing I remember was waking up in a bed! How things have changed.....
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

02-06-2011, 03:00 PM

All the best for your Niece , jem x x x
kena
New Member!
US
kena is female 

24-06-2011, 07:51 AM

one of my Sisters had her appendix removed-she was 52. Had suffered a 'grumbling appendix' on and off for a number of years. Kept taking her into hospital and sending her home once it settled down. I was given this black balloon to blow up and burst-don't know what was in it, but the next thing I remember was waking up in a bed!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2011, 02:08 AM

I still have mine at my advanced age! Missing a bit of colon, should have asked them to take the appendix out as long as they were in there!
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2011, 08:32 AM

My husband had an emergency operation at 2am in the morning for burst appendix. He was in his mid 50's at the time.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

26-06-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by rueben ->
My husband had an emergency operation at 2am in the morning for burst appendix. He was in his mid 50's at the time.

Oh dear , bet that gave both of you a big fright

Take it he`s ok now , yeah ?
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2011, 09:00 PM

Hi Topaz--Yes it was a bit of a near do. O/H had been getting griping pains during the day so he thought he had a bad case of indigestion but in the early hours he was suffering such severe pain he was rushed into hospital and was given an x.ray.The x.ray showed a shadow in his abdomen which was diagnosed as a burst appendix. He was rushed into the operating theatre. When the surgeon visited him after the operation he told him he was very luck if he had left it any longer he would have been a goner It's a few years ago now and he is still battling on keeping in good health thanx.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top