Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 09:04 AM

Bored with being in hospital

I can't remember how many times I've been in hospital this year but this has to be the dullest yet.

Of course, I'm grateful that they are taking care of me but even they don't know what precisely is wrong aside from cancer, multiple infections etc.

I didn't feel well after getting my jag to increase my nutrophils last week and believe the chemo just pushed me over the edge. I also believe I've picked up a bug or two since I arrived here.

It's Sunday and I want to go home. Unfortunately, I'm still getting intravenous antibiotics so that won't be possible. I'm just sick to death with all the routines, procedures, etc.

I've got my phone, but the allure of books and music has lost its sheen. I've had one visitor who kindly made the round trip to my house to pick up the correct charging lead and adaptor for it. Someone is supposed to be visiting me later on today. The food is good but I've lost my appetite.

Worse, though, is the knowledge that this will all likely happen again. I'll be in my house, taking my temperatures daily, avoiding infections etc. but will still fall victim to one, having to phone the haemotology hotline then being taken in again. I've lost count of how many times it's happened although this time it's more serious. Ive got one more lot of methotrexate to get, and this is done in hospital for all patients anyway due to the risks involved. It's optional so I may opt out.

The hospital is boiling, beyond belief in the afternoons and evenings - there is nothing to do but lie down.

I realise this is a pessimistic post but it's how I'm feeling. Like, what is the point anymore?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 09:10 AM

Re: Bored with being in hospital

Ffosse, Hospitals are hot anyway but to be in hospital in this heat must be awful.
Let’s hope time flies and you will soon be back in your own home.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 09:13 AM

Have you got yourself a bedside fan Fosse? If you haven't - you should ask for one.

I'm so sorry you're feeling so wretched. Hope things get better soon.

You know we're always her to talk to...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 09:15 AM

Hospitals are always boring whether you are a patient or just visiting. I can remember being all enthusiastic about visiting someone in hospital only to be bored within a few minutes, wondering how I'm going to get out, yet I could talk to that same person for hours in a normal setting.

Being in there at the moment with the heat must be quite terrible and of course you might feel you are missing out on the nicer side of the weather. Also, I think Sundays are worse because not much is going on.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 09:29 AM

It's been about 24 degrees each day which is hot for Edinburgh, but of course hospitals create their own heat with all the other people, the equipment etc. and they do all their own cooking here.

Whats bad is not having enough clothes with me, I forgot to ask my friend and wouldnt again as the weekend is really his down time with his family.

At least im not stuck in bed exept when I'm hooked up to a machine and have to stay close to the bed. I can't sit in the chair as it causes an instant layer of sweat to form on my back (cheap pvc).

But there is a limit to where I can go - there is a WVRS shop which sells juice and snacks at extornionate prices, then there is the face garden outside. It tires me out physically to walk far anyway.

# apologies this is all written on a phone so typos appear constantly.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 09:37 AM

What area do you live in Ffosse?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

08-07-2018, 09:53 AM

Edinburgh - Broughton area just about 2.6 miles from the hospital (but far enough to incur a £10.60 taxi charge last week).

Last Monday and Tuesday I spent £40 on 4 journeys by taxi. I'm putting an end to that and demanding patient transport from now on even if I have to wait longer. I cant walk ot get on a bus. Even if i could manage a bus, i couldn't manage the walk from the bus-stop back to my house.

Just noticed that my wrists and hands are purple and yellow from all the cannulae.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 10:24 AM

Hi

Hospitals are a nightmare Ffosse, I loathe them.

I am now back to driving 4 days a week, the other 3 I have to go by Hospital Transport, I cannot drive home after treatment, I am a danger to others.

I am hopeful that this is sorted out on the 30th, I value my freedom.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Edinburgh - Broughton area just about 2.6 miles from the hospital (but far enough to incur a £10.60 taxi charge last week).

Last Monday and Tuesday I spent £40 on 4 journeys by taxi. I'm putting an end to that and demanding patient transport from now on even if I have to wait longer. I cant walk ot get on a bus. Even if i could manage a bus, i couldn't manage the walk from the bus-stop back to my house.

Just noticed that my wrists and hands are purple and yellow from all the cannulae.
I wish I lived nearby, I'd come and visit you. I'm right sorry you are feeling so down on such a beautiful day. I totally understand where you are coming from, you really have been and are going through a time of it.

I would use the hospital transport, that is too much money to be forking out.

I hope you can feel a bit more positive soon, keep your chin up Ffosse xxxx
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

08-07-2018, 10:29 AM

Yes. as a driver you must hate the feelings of being curtailed in your driving even though it is necessary. Cars are like mini-homes, I think, you have your familiar things all around you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top