Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 10:34 AM

The Lone Shopper.

I drove down to Milton Keynes yesterday to go to Ikea. I had promised myself I was going to go and have a look for a table and chairs. My bungalow is very small but I am determined to crowbar a table and chairs in so I can sit and eat properly rather than balancing a plate in one hand and a fork in the other while perched on the sofa. Also it would be nice to have somewhere to sit to do paperwork and other things.

I wasnt quite sure about the tables and chairs I did see and the big problem I found was having no one with me to compare notes and ideas with while browsing around the store.

When you go shopping do you find it better to have a friend with you or would you rather shop alone and not be distracted.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 10:46 AM

Re: The Lone Shopper.

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I drove down to Milton Keynes yesterday to go to Ikea. I had promised myself I was going to go and have a look for a table and chairs. My bungalow is very small but I am determined to crowbar a table and chairs in so I can sit and eat properly rather than balancing a plate in one hand and a fork in the other while perched on the sofa. Also it would be nice to have somewhere to sit to do paperwork and other things.

I wasnt quite sure about the tables and chairs I did see and the big problem I found was having no one with me to compare notes and ideas with while browsing around the store.

When you go shopping do you find it better to have a friend with you or would you rather shop alone and not be distracted.
I usually have Mrs Fox with me Monday's Child, she stops me buying silly things that I would regret later. Although one or two things slip through the net....
I bought a very comfortable computer chair from Ikea at Sheffield, only to find it was massive when I got it home and assembled it. Far too big for the space it was intended...Anyone interested in a computer chair?

Like you, I much prefer to sit up straight at a proper table while eating and only occasionally slump on the sofa with a slice of toast or sandwich...Good luck with your search Monday's Child, you'll not go far wrong at Ikea, just stay away from the computer chairs........
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 11:04 AM

I would rather shop by myself as Hubby has no idea on designs, i'm the practical one.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 11:06 AM

My husband and I go shopping together if buying items of furniture, otherwise I buy everything else alone, which I much prefer.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 11:14 AM

I much prefer shopping alone, I cant stand having anyone else with me, or tagging along with them whilst they shop. To me it is not a pleasurable experience, but a necessity at times.

I hate it even more now that I cannot walk anywhere and have to rely on either my mobility scooter, or worst of all, being pushed around in a wheelchair. Thank god for internet shopping.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 12:10 PM

Saints preserve me from ever having to shop with friends.

I know where I am going, what I want and the quickest way to do that is to shop alone because as sure as eggs are eggs they will always know a better place, better things and delay you.

Now you know I am right dont you .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 12:16 PM

When it comes to buying furniture, or anything at all for the house to be honest Mrs. Floydysaurus has the final say usually. In fact, always
I'm far too gullible and impulsive and I have no idea about interior design apparently.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 12:24 PM

Yes I always do My shopping alone as I and only I know what I want/like....I did however go with My Daughter & SIL to choose a new sofa recently,I wanted one I saw on-line which was a large 4 seater with lounger attached,SIL swore it would fit into My hall which He had measured and be able to turn the corner into Living Room...I disagreed...so bought the same Sofa but with the lounger separate to be attached by delivery Men on the day...They told Me I was right because no way could it have fitted in one piece..I had to laugh and tell SIL "Mum knows best"
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 12:56 PM

It is an utter nightmare shopping with my daughter, who is an avid “tryer on”. I once spent five hours with her shopping in department stores. She tried on dozens of things and bought nothing. It was not even as though she actually wanted/needed anything. She also has a shoe passion and is forever trying on shoes. Every time she visits she is wearing shoes that I have never seen before. I hate to think how many pairs she has. ? The Imelda Marcos of Hertfordshire.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 01:15 PM

I have no choice but to do it all alone but I prefer it that way anyway.

When my husband was alive he would come and be "Pack Horse" but he used to get understandably fed up waiting around.

These days when I shop I know what I want and where I want to go, I go in, get what I want and get out again. I don't browse anymore, just not interested.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top