Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 03:13 PM

Will courier companies be able to cope?

It seems that the High Street is disappearing and eventually we will all be ordering everything online, according to the experts. A lot of the courier companies are unreliable as it is so when this finally happens, will they be able to cope with it all I wonder?

Just on here there are stories of orders being chucked over fences on the wrong day and deliveries not showing up at all.

I have been up since 6.30 waiting for a garden umbrella stand to arrive because I was told it would definitely be today. I have just found out that it could not be delivered because it was damaged (either that or it contained dangerous chemicals??)
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 03:22 PM

Re: Will courier companies be able to cope?

I'd like to see fair prices across the board with couriers They charge extra to deliver north of Edinburgh and Glasgow even if your on the mainland. I've fallen out with several ebay sellers as they refuse to send out goods to us, or they want £30/£40 extra in costs. It's easier and less hassle to buy it from Europe on free charge and you usually get it a lot quicker too. They really need to pull their socks up over pricing. It's got so bad that the Scottish Government has now got involved. Can you imagine the squawks if sellers in Scotland charged extra to send to the South of England..
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 03:35 PM

I was only thinking yesterday, if more people are buying online, does this mean there will be more delivery vehicles on the road?
I thought they were trying to get vehicles off the road to save the planet?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I was only thinking yesterday, if more people are buying online, does this mean there will be more delivery vehicles on the road?
I thought they were trying to get vehicles off the road to save the planet?
And imagine all the people that are in John Lewis etc right now, waiting at home for a parcel to be delivered.

I know they have been testing drones but are they really that reliable?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 03:39 PM

Drone, delivery, Artangel:

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Prime-...ode=8037720011
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

04-07-2018, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I'd like to see fair prices across the board with couriers They charge extra to deliver north of Edinburgh and Glasgow even if your on the mainland. I've fallen out with several ebay sellers as they refuse to send out goods to us, or they want £30/£40 extra in costs. It's easier and less hassle to buy it from Europe on free charge and you usually get it a lot quicker too. They really need to pull their socks up over pricing. It's got so bad that the Scottish Government has now got involved. Can you imagine the squawks if sellers in Scotland charged extra to send to the South of England..
I have never understood why it costs more to go to Scotland. I know some of the roads are a bit winding but it's no different in Devon or Cornwall. I can see why it costs more getting stuff to the Islands obviously.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 03:49 PM

Hi

Amazon and Co use Gig Economy drivers, minimum wage, no contract and no Pension.

We are subsidising them to the tune of £Billions and building up a massive debt as they will have no Pension, which has to be paid for by our kids.

It is time to stop this and make them all proper employees.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2018, 03:55 PM

On Sunday, l ordered a Panasonic 50” television off Costco at a really good price. There was no option to choose for when you wanted it to be delivered.

Yesterday morning, l got an email from them, to track my order. I couldn’t believe it was on its way. I had an appointment at 12.20 and it was too short notice to cancel, so l rang Parcel Force and told them l would be out for about an hour. They said, they would contact the driver and tell him to deliver after 2pm.
I got back at 1.30 and l couldn’t believe a note had been left.. 12.40....’We tried to deliver your item but you were out’!
I was so mad, l rang Parcel Force and said how disappointed l was but could they come back this way? She said, the drivers were on a fixed route and it would now have to be delivered tomorrow.
At about 11am, last night, l checked the tracker. I couldn’t believe that it stated at 20.21 the driver had tried to deliver the television again but couldn’t find the address?

I rang this morning to see what was happening. Parcel Force said, the television would be delivered this afternoon.
I couldn’t believe my eyes when l looked down my drive at about 12noon, to see a very small man walking, or should l say, staggering up my drive with a massive long box on his shoulder... my television!!

Now, l’m concerned it won’t fit on the stand that my 40” television sits on!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

04-07-2018, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Amazon and Co use Gig Economy drivers, minimum wage, no contract and no Pension.

We are subsidising them to the tune of £Billions and building up a massive debt as they will have no Pension, which has to be paid for by our kids.

It is time to stop this and make them all proper employees.
Last Christmas Eve a 'Gig' driver delivered to me at 9pm in the evening. It was something I wasn't even expecting until after Christmas. He told me I was the last delivery and that he was being given between 80 -100 parcels every day. Imagine trying to get to 100 addresses in one day.

He looked shattered and I felt really sorry for him.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

04-07-2018, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Drone, delivery, Artangel:

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Prime-...ode=8037720011
Surfermom, That really is impressive but...there must be a few restrictions and drawbacks?!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top