Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 06:24 PM

ever changing world

Today when we make a phonecall to a company it is fast becoming a rare thing to be able to speak to a human and have to listen to a tedious script said by a robot and then sometimes have to listen to a tedious tune whilst we wait to actually speak to someone, if we can at all that is!! I personally want to speak to a human when I phone with an enquiry or possible complaint and I really despise the modern way of automation, but of course I have to put up with it with an ever changing world.

We are being increasingly encouraged to buy online which means having to give our personal bank account details on the internet which in itself is a danger with so much identity fraud that goes on. I like to go in a shop, browse the goods and feel the quality of clothing, with online buying we can only hope that the goods are as good as they may look on a computer screen, which many times results in the item being sent back!

With the supermarkets who are still in business offline we are losing the choice whether or not we wish to be served by a cashier, more and more self service tills are being introduced and in my local supermarket there are barely any tills with cashiers. I like to chat with the cashier as I put away my shopping, its a social thing I guess.

We rarely write letters anymore, modern day letter writing is email, I find written letters much more personal and meaningful, I don't know why, I just do.

When we phone a doctors surgery (mine is automated initially) we are hard pressed to get to see an actual doctor, the receptionist or care navigator as they call them now decides whether my illness needs to be seen by a doctor, a nurse, a healthcare assistant or a senior doctor. I can never these days get to see my own doctor who knows my adult life medical history personally and I feel it better to speak with someone who knows about me and my past history.

These are a few of my pet hates of the ever changing world, thinking about it, it seems I don't like change, but, of course, it happens to the best of us and we just have to get on with it *sigh*

When my generation has passed all this is and will be the norm for the generations of today. I wonder how the world will change in the next 30 years, I won't be around to see it but I wish I could come back and have a peek!

What bugbears do you have about the ever changing world?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 06:47 PM

Re: ever changing world

My doctors surgery has just 'updated' its online system it has got me pulling my hair out

When trying to order my repeat prescription I got a pulsating pink dot in the middle of the screen and gave up eventually.
Next day I tried again and was given a date when my repeat prescription was allowed to be ordered so I posted a note to say I needed it before then and got a message to say not to use Roman numerals I hadn't used any so I was unable to post the message.

I thought I would check the new Drs Appointment system too, only one Doctor out of 14 was listed and he had one appointment available and that was in July.

When I went to collect my prescription the nurse said it is the same at the Dr Surgery she attends in Worcester, chaos ...
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 06:50 PM

Its the same as Self Tills, I have to use them, but I would rather have someone at the till to take my money.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 06:51 PM

I was the same Meg, I needed to renew my prescription online and got totally lost. Whoever designed this current one certainly didn't do it to help the older folk

Just one doctor available too
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I was the same Meg, I needed to renew my prescription online and got totally lost. However designed this current one certainly didn't do it to help the older folk

Just one doctor available too
Mags you must have this then...

Introducing the
all-new Patient Access!

We've been working hard behind the scenes, adding some exciting new features to Patient Access and making it easier for you to use.

Our aim remains the same: to help you take control of your healthcare.

Whether you're an existing Patient Access user or a new one, just click on the button below to visit our new site where you can sign in, register or read more about new features available.
I wonder how much money they wasted on this....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mags you must have this then...

I wonder how much money they wasted on this....
That’s the one Meg, what a laugh
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 08:44 PM

I agree with much of what you write but my doctor's surgery is superb.

Grocery shopping is something I can't do at the moment (unless it's in the small Co-Op near where I live and they only have cashiers), but agree with you: I don't like the self service tills, either, and almost always require an assistant because something's gone wrong.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 08:59 PM

I order my prescription on line & have always managed ,but when I went on the other day I found it has changed & it is confusing ,I hope Ive managed to order a few items correctly,
As said its a frightening world, how safe are our details? I wont use self checkout tills, never sure if Im doing it right or not,
I also get annoyed with Drs receptionists ,who are they to decide if we need a Dr or not?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 09:06 PM

My doctor's receptionists are never too inquisitive. They know I have cancer, and on the occasions I've phoned up for an emergency appointment they hardly ever ask what it's about.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 09:06 PM

My gripe is, some (not All) who gripe about change, have been by way of their actions, been party to it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top