Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 05:52 PM

Hotel Fire Alarm!

Now what are the chances of staying in two different hotels on consecutive nights and the fire alarm going off in both! Last night it was 11.30 pm, we were fast asleep and had to jump into some clothes and assemble in the car park. The previous evening it was around 9.30 pm, people still in the restaurant brought their food out with them! Again hundreds of us assembled in the car park.

When you’re woken up suddenly with an alarm your brain doesn’t always kick in. I picked a skirt out of the wardrobe and in my haste forgot to fasten it and kept having to hitch it up, lots of stairs to manoeuvre! Fortunately it was a warm evening so a dressing gown on top did the trick. But what else do you pick up! Is it a real fire, surely not a practice at that time of night. I did remember my phone and room key but wished I’d picked up my iPad so I could have taken photos when the fire engines arrived! Anyway, after after about half an hour we were allowed back in the hotel, but try getting back to sleep after an incident like this!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 06:06 PM

Re: Hotel Fire Alarm!

It is no wonder you are tired then Val! I hope you are catching up on your sleep!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 06:35 PM

Can't be much fun when you are ill, either. Glad you got through it OK.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 07:03 PM

I would have got into a panic I think , sounds like you were calm . If I stay in a hotel I always go looking for the fire exits to put my mind at rest . When I was in Thailand recently I was on the 27th floor , I kept thinking of all the stairs down if there was a fire as I'd never use the lift . Glad all was well , think I'd have needed a few brandies
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 11:16 AM

I did stay reasonably calm, I guess I was still half asleep. Fortunately we were on the second floor so we were soon out. I think I may have reacted differently if it had been a high rise hotel! Next day there were notices in the hotel, apologising for the alarm, apparently an incident in an hotel room, somebody smoking??
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 01:06 PM

Probably someone having a sneaky cigarette in one of the en suite toilets.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I would have got into a panic I think , sounds like you were calm . If I stay in a hotel I always go looking for the fire exits to put my mind at rest . When I was in Thailand recently I was on the 27th floor , I kept thinking of all the stairs down if there was a fire as I'd never use the lift . Glad all was well , think I'd have needed a few brandies
Most out lifts bottom out on a fire alarm anyway.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Probably someone having a sneaky cigarette in one of the en suite toilets.
Some people don't realise that these vaping things can e off a fire alarm.
Val J
East Yorkshire

26-06-2018, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Some people don't realise that these vaping things can e off a fire alarm.
Yes, I think you’re probably right Purwell, I bet it happens a lot!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England

26-06-2018, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
Yes, I think you’re probably right Purwell, I bet it happens a lot!
Has happened where I work several times but I think word has got round now.
Another cause of fire alarms going off has been the cleaners leaving the hot tap running in their cupboards. Steam can set a smoke alarm off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top