Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 11:36 PM

Who to ask

I need a new wooden gate post put in.
It is a 6ft high gate, so not a little one.

The old post has gradually twisted so bad, I am having trouble getting the bolts to line up so I can lock up at night.

The old post is set deep in concrete, so that won't be easy to dig out.

Who should I ask to put me a new post in?

Because it is wood, I wondered is it was a carpenters job?
But concreting, is it really a builder's job?
Or is it something a gardener would do?

I must get it done, but blowed if I know what sort of person to ask.

Who do you think would be best please?
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 11:45 PM

Re: Who to ask

Hi Mups
We have been working on this exact thing. We had part of our 6 foot privacy fence knocked over by hurricane winds last month but we are fixing it ourself.

You wouldn’t call a carpenter. I would suggest calling a builder or fence contractor myself. You definitely don’t want to hire a handyman.
It’s skilled labour for sure.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 12:55 AM

When I put my fence posts up, I used a type of metal plate which is anchored to the ground with suitable bolts the plate having a 3 inch metal square welded to it and designed to take a 3 inch wooden fence post. Something like this.

https://www.diy.com/departments/metp...m/38268_BQ.prd

If the existing post can be cut off at ground level and this post support anchored into the existing concrete that might just do the job. I would imagine any joiner worth his salt could do such a job.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 03:17 AM

I got a new drive fence fitted this year, the space between the patio and garage. I ordered it from a local fence manufacturer who fitted it as well with a gate included. So I'd say that may be your best option.
Otherwise, an all-round tradesman builder/joiner would be okay doing it
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 05:13 AM

If the wood is just twisted rather than rotted then a joiner should be able to shave some off or add some to it to make it line up again, rather than replace the whole post.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 06:36 AM

Mups, it might be worth asking the Postman.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 06:50 AM

Perhaps a Fencing Company Mups!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Mups, it might be worth asking the Postman.
Or the fireman in the loft.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 09:03 AM

Ideally you need someone with a breaker drill and a long spirit level. Digging out will be the biggest job, fitting the new post, easy. It's difficult to suggest who to get because any job like that would be done myself normally. In fact I would do it for you if you were close by. I suppose a fencer as suggested would be used to this sort of thing. I wouldn't get a builder in.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 09:11 AM

If the post is rotten then yes, an odd job man or a fencing company would probably be the best bet, but if the post is sound then the same odd job man would probably be able to just reset the hinges or bolts to new positions to produce the required outcome.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top