Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

15-05-2011, 12:06 PM

Our Mates

Our mates past and present.

The one in the centre is still with us and although getting on a bit is still the ruler of our little household.

All three were rescue dogs with huge problems that took time to get over, they all made the effort worthwhile a thousandfold.

We count ourselves very fortunate that they chose us to spend their lives with.

Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2011, 02:16 PM

Re: Our Mates

Nice photos Hammer, all my family are animal lovers and over the years have owned either dogs or cats and sometimes both. This is our cat Lucky who adopted us as a stray kitten when she appeared in the back garden, she is 14 years old in November.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2011, 02:36 PM

Lovely dogs Hammer and how kind of you to give a home to rescues...

Bob, Lucky is gorgeous - is she a tortie and white long hair?

I also have a 14 year old cat, Cassie ...... she is very timid but at the same time, very loveable.

Meet Cassie ....

Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2011, 06:15 PM

Super animals all, don't you still find it amazing how caring for these furry creatures continues to enrich our lives beyond measure?
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2011, 08:49 PM

Great pics of lovely pets.....loving and loyal friends all....
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2011, 09:26 PM

Thanks Mags, yes she is a tortie and white long hair and she loves her daily grooming from us all. You know the old saying....Dogs have owners but cats have staff! Your Cassie looks a real beauty.
I do agree Plantman and would never have been without any of the various pets that we have had over the years.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2011, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Super animals all, don't you still find it amazing how caring for these furry creatures continues to enrich our lives beyond measure?
I think it is amazing Barry and I have often attempted to analyse my own feelings about it and why so many of us share our lives with an animal. Its different from sharing with another human. I don't think it is simply the need to nurture and look after something - its more complex than that, but having an animal around certainly does enrich our lives.
What do others think ?
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2011, 09:34 AM

Animals are the best friends going,
I have two cats who run to me when I come home on a night, keep me entertained with their antics, and come for a cuddle and calm me down if i am upset about anything, they do not judge and are happy just to follow me around, alright they try to trip me up at times, but that can be forgiven, for the sheer joy they bring.
Alright soppiness over
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

17-05-2011, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I don't think it is simply the need to nurture and look after something - its more complex than that, but having an animal around certainly does enrich our lives.
What do others think ?
It certainly has been the case with us, each one of our mates have been a star in their own right, our Irish was the real laughing cavalier, nothing would faze him at all.

Our present one has had more problems than a little, health wise but still comes back for more.

I think the most rewarding time we had was when we took on a very young dobi cross that had been beaten badly and was scared of her own shadow.

For a long time it was very slowly slowly and gaining her trust.
I remember the leaving her on her own - lets face it there are times when we have to -training bit, took simply ages.

We gradually made the interval longer making sure she had her comfort toys to play with. I even made her effigies of the entire German National Football Team to tear to pieces.

All was going well, or so we thought!

She had to be left in the house on her own for a short while sooner or later so one fateful day we just left her in the kitchen for 30 mins at most, as a trial.

In that short space of time our little guest managed to empty out a kitchen sink cupboard full of dog mixer and washing powder (remember that) etc which she spread on the floor and then proceeded to lift a full chip pan (we had one in those days) down from another cupboard without breaking the crockery underneath!

The contents of the pan about 2 litres of oil was then liberally spread on the pile of dog mixer and powder.

Picture the sight that greeted me when I opened the kitchen door dear reader, for it is one I shall never forget.

There she sat, in the middle of the detergent oil lake with her tail - which had not been docked - ever so gently wagging, which in turn sent waves and rivulets of the mixture to every corner of the room.

I started to remonstrate with her but caught sight of my lady shaking like a leaf and laughing like a drain so I just banished the walking oil slick to the bottom of the garden and just set about cleaning the place up.

The poor mite knew she was in trouble as every time I went out to the dustbin with another load of the soggy mess, a pair of the blackest most folorn eyes were peeping at me from behind a small bush at the end of the garden.

It took days to get rid of the mess and slippery floor but the pup had the shiniest coat for miles around.

She never did completely lose the nervousness and hated thunder and firework night but grew into a very powerful but loving dog who even after all she had endured - not least living with us - did not have an ounce of malice in her.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2011, 12:12 PM

Washing powder, dog mixer and chip fat - what a combination I imagine she certainly enriched your lives that day Hammer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top