Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 09:02 AM

Cost of Dying...

Do you think it's an expensive rip off?
In my own case, My mother passed back in March and we thought she had plenty of Life Insurance, as it turned out she didn't and I had to find another thousand pounds. I was blazing, what about people who simply can't afford it..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-44151702
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 09:25 AM

Re: Cost of Dying...

Whilst researching my own disposal I was appalled at the massive increase but more so at the blase excuses given for those increases especially by the big companies

I could appreciate there has been rises but not enough to warrant what is now being asked for. It's a captive audience price hike for sure.

I asked if they had considered a BOGOF and they slammed the phone down
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 09:30 AM

It's apalling Roxy .
And in the SE its far higher than the figures quoted .
Cemeteries are often run by heartless managers intent on screwing that maximum amount out of the bereaved .
Although some things can be left out .
Why do the bereaved relatives need to arrive in black cars ?
Grief is enough on it own without coping with financial worries .
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->

I asked if they had considered a BOGOF and they slammed the phone down
After the Ding Dong I had with mums life insurance company I'll never trust one again. I also understand that people who have prepaid their funerals are being ripped off too, as some of their family's are being presented with extra bills afterwards. Personally I want direct disposal and no fuss, but I have opened a separate bank account and I put money in that each month to cover this. At the moment direct disposal is around the thousand pound mark and if I were to drop tomorrow then there's more than enough to cover things. But I'll have to keep putting money away just incase they find a way to milk my kids after I'm gone.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 09:36 AM

I haven't bothered with any funeral plans.
I know my kids can afford to pay for my funeral between them. They'll get the money back from the sale of my house & possessions.

To be honest - when I'm gone I'm not bothered.

I agree it is a rip off though!!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

07-06-2018, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It's apalling Roxy .
And in the SE its far higher than the figures quoted .
Cemeteries are often run by heartless managers intent on screwing that maximum amount out of the bereaved .
Although some things can be left out .
Why do the bereaved relatives need to arrive in black cars ?
Grief is enough on it own without coping with financial worries .

What shouldn't worry me but does a bit, is my best friend and those like her. She is on the basic pension and pension credits top up. She says she can't afford extras including Life Insurance, knowing how little she has left to live on after she's paid her weekly bills, gas, electric, shopping, ect I can understand why. She doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, doesn't have a car, I don't know how she'd cope if she did..
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
After the Ding Dong I had with mums life insurance company I'll never trust one again. I also understand that people who have prepaid their funerals are being ripped off too, as some of their family's are being presented with extra bills afterwards. Personally I want direct disposal and no fuss, but I have opened a separate bank account and I put money in that each month to cover this. At the moment direct disposal is around the thousand pound mark and if I were to drop tomorrow then there's more than enough to cover things. But I'll have to keep putting money away just incase they find a way to milk my kids after I'm gone.
I forgot to mention on the other topic there is a No fuss no frills service you can buy where you literally get picked up and disposed of. At that time it was £1,250.00 all in.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 09:42 AM

David Bowie had a basic funeral no service just straight to the crematorium ashes delivered to wherever you want them .
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 10:16 AM

I have requested a Direct Cremation. No funeral, no family, straight to the crem by the undertakers. No ashes. When I checked it is less that fifteen hundred pounds, which I have put aside. My solicitor knows, as does my family.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 10:20 AM

I understand that these burial plans are to be investigated along with the prices charged by funeral directors. Anyone confirm that?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top