Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2011, 07:27 PM

Well what would/could you do?

This morning as I was buying a euro lottery ticket I was asked what I would do if I won. It wasn’t, to me, really a question of what I would do at my age more a question of what I could do.

Truth to tell most would be passed on to my daughter and granddaughters at least then I could die, when the time comes, knowing they were well provided for.

This got me to thinking about the internet; so far this week I have sailed round my beloved Lake Como visiting the Villa Carlotta and Bellagio en route, visited Port Grimaud and Ste Maxime and several nearby villages, looked around Calella de Palafrugell and seen how much a once stayed at camping site has developed.

Then I visited the town of my boyhood and explored the River Gipping tomorrow who knows perhaps a revisit to Honfleur and then Carnac.

Thanks to the internet I can do this but “in the flesh” I doubt I would be able. So it would seem that my real reason for buying those tickets is for “my girls”.

For me personally less “Vin de Pay” and more Barolo would be a nice change and my own personal “Jeeves”, - - - - now there’s a thought.

So what would you do? What could you do?
Dolce
South Africa
Dolce is female  Dolce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2011, 07:43 PM

Re: Well what would/could you do?

I would do a hostile take over of the company I'm working for - I will then be my boss's boss.

But seriously, I would do a lot more traveling. My hobby is scuba diving - I would dive in every exotic place I can find on this earth.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2011, 01:49 AM

Hire a firm that specialized on moving;someone to do all the tedious work of discarding the things not going to the apartment... (a huge job!), seeing to the packing and safe transport of delicate things like oil paintings, china and glassware and houseplants. A horribly daunting task, would love to have someone take complete charge!!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2011, 07:36 AM

The greatest pleasure for me would be in winning enough money to be able to give most of it away. Of course keep enough to do the travelling and look after the family, but the joy of giving has to be the best.

Perhaps some new technology for the hospital, or a new science block for the local school, but the most joy would come from helping out the individuals that you see in the papers, that have suffered incredibly bad luck and just need digging out of a hole to help them back on their feet. You know the sort of thing, like the widow who can`t afford the school uniform for her kids, or the pensioner who's being harrassed for her council tax. I think I could make a whole new career out of sending money anonomously, to the little people that are just down on their luck through no fault of their own...
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2011, 09:35 AM

I never do the lottery or bet on anything, so I would never win anything (not because I don't approve, but I simply don't think about it). If I did win a great amount, like most people I would make sure the family were secure for life and travel.
Money would have been very useful when I was younger, but now I don't need or want that much.
I believe big money is for using, not saving, so as Barry says it would be a nice idea to give some away to people who needed it.
I also like the idea of perhaps setting up some sort of foundation/trust to help secure the future of our world's diversity and environment.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

13-05-2011, 06:49 PM

Blow the bloody lot !

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2011, 07:30 PM

I'ts good to see some people are charitable to others and don't always put themselves first. I don't do the lottery although I have a small flutter on the nags every Day, I enjoy it and over the year I show a small profit, plus it helps keep my memory active. I have enough money to keep the Wife and me comfortable for the rest of our Days. The truth is big money like the lottery would frighten me.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
The greatest pleasure for me would be in winning enough money to be able to give most of it away... helping out the individuals that ...have suffered incredibly bad luck and just need digging out of a hole to help them back on their feet. You know the sort of thing, like the widow who can`t afford the school uniform for her kids, or the pensioner who's being harrassed for her council tax. I think I could make a whole new career out of sending money anonomously, to the little people that are just down on their luck through no fault of their own...
I love this attitude - you've expressed my own thoughts. I'd see that my family never wanted for anything, invest wisely to have enough income to be kind to others in need for the rest of my life... "live simply that others may simply live" is a line I read somewhere and I think it is a worthwhile goal.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2011, 09:32 PM

Have always said that if I won a large amount of money on lottery, would split it with my Sisters and Brother, and then I would buy somewhere in the middle of the countryside and open a luxury rescue centre for 'golden oldie dogs' that no one wants....hopefully have enough to employ couple of staff to assist. Oh well.......I can dream!
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2011, 09:52 PM

It would be absolutely fantastic to win such a vast amount of money so that I could donate to all the worthwhile charities in this country plus ensure that all my relatives were financially padded! It wouldn't make my marriage any happier but what a lovely thought not to have to check the finances every month. Ahhhhh the stuff of dreams!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top