Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2018, 11:22 PM

Bonfires

Do you or your neighbours have bonfires?
Do you know the regulations in your area for having them?

I had planned a day working in the garden yesterday, and what happens? The prat in the posh houses behind my garden lit a bonfire just the other side of the fence!

They have huge gardens, but he lights it right at the end of his garden with the wind blowing it straight into my kitchen.
At times I could hardly see across my garden.
I had to get all my washing in, and shut all my doors and windows. He did the same about a fortnight ago.

He was cutting his wildly overgrown hedges, and burning it straightaway while it was still green. It stunk.
This went on from about mid morning until after tea in the evening.

Then today, holiday Monday, he started again.
I heard the woman 2 doors down shouting at him to put his fire out as it was all going in her house. As the wind changed a little, it veered round to me again.
2 consecutive days this horrible, selfish man has done this and I have a horrible feeling he will carry on.

I looked at my council website, and there are no by-laws about bonfires except it says "be considerate to neighbours" , and not to burn certain things, otherwise its ok, even on a Sunday.

I had loads of washing to get dry, and all my bedding washed ready to peg out, and I couldn't.

I didn't feel brave enough to go and tackle him on my own, and am worried that he will continue next weekend too.
What would you do?
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2018, 11:27 PM

Re: Bonfires

Mups!
I'd go around and politely say exactly what you have said on here.
He needs to know what a nuisance his fires are causing and then I'm sure he would be more considerate
If no one says anything to him he'll assume it's ok.

Be brave and your sweet lovely self x
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2018, 11:28 PM

In Oz we can only burn at certain times of the year - outside of which it is illegal and dangerous and police can be called!

call the police and see what happens?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2018, 11:35 PM

Around here we have BBQ’s...same effect really, and it’s been a long time since we had a decent virgin sacrifice.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2018, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
In Oz we can only burn at certain times of the year - outside of which it is illegal and dangerous and police can be called!

call the police and see what happens?
Nothing will happen, it’s hard enough getting the buggers out to investigate a murder
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2018, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Around here we have BBQ’s...same effect really, and it’s been a long time since we had a decent virgin sacrifice.
Rehab you're a complete loon!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2018, 11:38 PM

That is really inconsiderate Mups and on such a hot weekend too. If it were that close to the fence I'd have put it out with a good hosing.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

28-05-2018, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Rehab you're a complete loon!
I know, it’s a character failing of mine
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2018, 01:25 AM

Go round and tell him in a friendly way....he is probably just not thinking and when it's brought to his notice he will stop.

That's the theory anyway Good luck
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2018, 05:45 AM

A couple of linkys for you, Mups,

https://www.gov.uk/garden-bonfires-rules

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/home...es-and-the-law

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top