Join for free
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2011, 12:55 PM

Mother's Day Photo Shoot a Success

I survived the holiday photo job I had yesterday. I attended all three church services this weekend, photographing anyone who wanted family photos. The first service on Saturday night was the hardest as I had to familiarize myself with the setup and procedure and then deal with the crowd of swarming people. I learned very quickly what equipment works and what isn't practical. Forget using a tripod as the throng of running kids would knock it over or trip over the legs. I'd be arrested for injuring them, intentionally. lol

In all I shot over 320 photos on a single charged battery. I had to empty my memory card once.

The photos turned out brilliantly as my camera equipment allows me to shoot without a flash. That was greatly appreciated by the families as there was no need to squint or close your eyes as a reaction to being blinded. In fact most sittings were over in about 5 seconds.

I've burned all the final photos to a CD and also loaded them to my internet storage site with a secure password. Now it's up to the pastor on how they want to distribute the photos. They can give the site & password or email the families and attach the photo.

All in all it was quite a good experience. I also got a chance to test out my new portable hard drive that allows me to load all my photos from memory cards in under 4 minutes. It worked flawlessly. This is in preparation for my vacation in July where I'll need that portable drive to allow me an almost unlimited amount of shooting.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2011, 01:54 PM

Re: Mother's Day Photo Shoot a Success

Well I can see you're really intot his digital photography thing Bob, will you get any 'fees' from the church for helpig out ? or is it worth it just to get the practice in for the 'big trip'
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2011, 02:23 PM

Well done Bob, I expect everyone there was pleased with you efforts...
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Well I can see you're really intot his digital photography thing Bob, will you get any 'fees' from the church for helpig out ? or is it worth it just to get the practice in for the 'big trip'
I am a volunteer. Since retirement I look for ways to make a difference. When my church put out a list of skills they were looking for, photography was one of them. You can see a huge difference between folks that own & use a digital camera and a pro, like myself, photographing church activities. I was a wedding & portrait photographer for hire before digital cameras were invented. I do it for my own enjoyment and they enjoyment it gives others.

The practice part of this shoot is important because I'm using new technology. Such things as special memory cards that transmitted the captured photos in a camera to your computer, ipad or to a website where they are stored. The battery powered portable hard drive is great because you can carry a few memory cards an not worry about running out of space. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity on my vacation so I want to be able to capture as many photos as I can.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top