Join for free
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

09-05-2011, 12:00 PM

They didn’t have the green thing in her day.

How true

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle,

In the line at the store, the cashier told the older woman that plastic bags weren’t good for the environment. The woman apologized to her as the young clerk said “That's okay, you didn’t have the 'green thing' back in your day.”

That’s right, they didn’t have the green thing in her day. Back then, they returned their milk bottles, coke bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, using the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

But they didn’t have the green thing back in her day.

In her day, they walked up stairs, because they didn’t have an escalator in every store and office building. They walked to the grocery store and didn’t climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time they had to go two blocks.

But she’s right. They didn’t have the green thing in her day.

Back then, they washed the baby’s diapers because they didn’t have the throw-away kind. They dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts . Wind and solar power really did dry the clothes. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand new clothing.

But that old lady is right, they didn’t have the green thing back in her day.

Back then, they had one TV, or radio, in the house – not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a pizza dish, not a screen the size of the state of Montana .
In the kitchen, they blended and stirred by hand because they didn’t have electric machines to do everything for you. When they packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, they used wadded up newspaper to cushion it, not styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, they didn’t fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. They used a push mower that ran on human power. They exercised by working so they didn’t need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she’s right, they didn’t have the green thing back then.

They drank from a fountain when they were thirsty, instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time they had a drink of water. They refilled pens with ink, instead of buying a new pen, and they replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But they didn’t have the green thing back then.

Back then, kids rode their bikes to school or rode the school bus, instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. They had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And they didn’t need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But they didn't have the green thing back then!

Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2011, 09:13 PM

Re: They didn’t have the green thing in her day.

Thats so true Topaz - and also everything didn't come ready made and sealed up in layers of plastic and cardboard. The majority of food stuff was loose, got weighed and put into a brown paper bag to take home. I don't think I would mind going back to w.y.s.i.w.y.g.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

09-05-2011, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Thats so true Topaz - and also everything didn't come ready made and sealed up in layers of plastic and cardboard. The majority of food stuff was loose, got weighed and put into a brown paper bag to take home. I don't think I would mind going back to w.y.s.i.w.y.g.

LOL ....... Ok , you got me , whats " w.y.s.i.w.y.g. " ?

It`s been a long day and i`m too tired to even try to figure it out ......
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2011, 09:36 PM

w.y.s.i.w.y.g. ........ possibly "what you see is what you get" ?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2011, 10:10 PM

Thats right Mags - I uneerstand it is a highly technical abbreviation used by highly technical computer folks l.r.f. is another one
Dolce
South Africa
Dolce is female  Dolce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2011, 09:46 PM

Absolutely frikkin brilliant! I love it ... it is so true ...
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2011, 02:02 AM

I love this, Topaz! Would like to share it elsewhere - if that's ok, to whom shall I give credit?
GOG
Northumberland UK
GOG is male  GOG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2011, 09:54 AM

Brilliant post Topaz.......love it!

Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

11-05-2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
w.y.s.i.w.y.g. ........ possibly "what you see is what you get" ?
Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Thats right Mags - I uneerstand it is a highly technical abbreviation used by highly technical computer folks l.r.f. is another one

OIC

A I T Y F T I ....... I A N S F E T E

P.S .............. A F U I A Y J

LOL

Originally Posted by Dolce ->
Absolutely frikkin brilliant! I love it ... it is so true ...

Ta x x

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
I love this, Topaz! Would like to share it elsewhere - if that's ok, to whom shall I give credit?

I received it as an e mail Annie Jack so feel free to post it wherever you wish and just quote as anonymous x x

Originally Posted by GOG ->
Brilliant post Topaz.......love it!

Ta x x
marilyno07
Gloucestershire
marilyno07 is female  marilyno07 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2011, 09:34 AM

A.G.B. Topaz - well done.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top