Join for free
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2011, 01:04 PM

Content Backyard Duckies

I couldn't help myself when looking at my back yard yesterday. It does so resemble a city park, complete with a small pond, water fountain, bridge and about 25 resident Mallard ducks. I sat on the only bench there with two duckies sitting within 3 feet of me to my rear. They didn't budge when I sat down but always kept an eye on me.

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2011, 01:32 PM

Re: Content Backyard Duckies

Delightful duckies, Bob .... they must be used to you and your camera now..
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2011, 06:02 PM

I am so envious of you Bob, I have to go to the local park to get my 'mallard fix'. Another smashing photo - thanks, keep them coming.
Mary x
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2011, 06:29 PM

LOL I must tell you the truth. Here, if you're not careful, you'll literally trip over the ducks. They rule this apartment complex. Nobody living here would ever harm or scare them.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2011, 07:33 PM

Lucky thing! Do you ever get to see their ducklings?
bobmielke
Portland, OR

07-05-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
Lucky thing! Do you ever get to see their ducklings?
Oh you bet. Also, there's a pair of Canadian geese that stays with us in Spring. I've seen them hatch a few goslings as well. It's all quite wonderful, including the one white Albino Mallard duck that lives here. I was here when it was just a chick.
maryl
UK

07-05-2011, 07:57 PM

Poole Park was overun with Canadian Geese (seriously). The keepers now prick their eggs, or replace them with wooden ones and have changed the banks around the lake to deter nesting. Years ago they spent thousands moving them somewhere else and the whole flipping lot flew back!
bobmielke
Portland, OR

07-05-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
Poole Park was overun with Canadian Geese (seriously). The keepers now prick their eggs, or replace them with wooden ones and have changed the banks around the lake to deter nesting. Years ago they spent thousands moving them somewhere else and the whole flipping lot flew back!
In similar fashion here transplantation proved successful by placing realistic decoys on the island chosen for their new home. Once a few took the bait they all landed there. Now the new island is overrun by them.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top