Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
GOG
Northumberland UK
GOG is male  GOG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2011, 12:23 PM

Lousy Customer Service

Why don't organisations train their people properly and give them an understanding of what good customer service really means? They think that teaching them to say "have a nice day" is enough. Why don't they teach them that finishing a conversation with a colleague does NOT take precedence over serving a customer immediately? Also why can't they train them about product knowledge? In my experience the number of assistants who can't answer simple questions about their products outnumber the few who can by about 1000 to 1!

I know there are one or two notable exceptions amongst companies and organisations but generally speaking...... Mangaement is RUBBISH at training their people.
BAH......GRRRRRR!
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2011, 01:27 PM

Re: Lousy Customer Service

That is one of the reasons I switched ISPS from Tiscali (now Talk Talk), because I was fed up getting nowhere with people talking gibberish,or not having a clue about anything technical, just reading from a set script. You need to talk to someone in the UK, who can at least speak english properly, and does genuinely try to solve your problem.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2011, 03:01 PM

GOG - Can I suggest you try wherever possible to purchase products and services from Germany.

I have just driven from one side of Germany to the other and I'm amazed how polite and knowledgible people are in shops and service stations.

When I want tools for my workshop I ring up A.B. Dick in Germany where a lovely lady who speaks perfect English (Much better than some telephone sales people in UK) will take my order, she knows what's in stock instantly and what it does and offers alternatives if necessary, and every time the goods arrive within three days by courier even 'tho we are are well off the beaten track and even the postman can't find us sometimes.

What is more the goods I buy from them are always top quality products. I think in UK too many people just look at the price and like much of Eastern Europe they get what they pay for.

Mind you UK prices are sometimes more than in Germany and when the service is rubbish it just makes you wonder.

I paid Euro 1.45 per litre at autobahn service stations, in England I paid 1.45 POUNDS per litre!!!!
GOG
Northumberland UK
GOG is male  GOG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2011, 11:42 AM

Losos I hear what you say. I would follow your advice but I believe we should put pressure on UK outfits to get it right so that we can benefit our own economy instead of someone else's?

If we keep going elswhere the b*****s will never improve.

Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by GOG ->
Losos I hear what you say. I would follow your advice but I believe we should put pressure on UK outfits to get it right so that we can benefit our own economy instead of someone else's?

If we keep going elswhere the b*****s will never improve.

Yes, that is absolutely true, what worries me is that when you or I write to the MD of some company which has given poor service the letter gets passed down to some middle manager who replies in the most abstract of ways and never does it seem that any disciplinary action is applied, management now are so scarred of being taken to court for the most silly things, shouting at an employee is now classed as unfair behaviour, and if one even hints at reprimands then it's straight to law and the firm ends up paying compensation for stress and heaven only knows what else.

Just today I have been struggling with the instructions for attaching a spray nozzle to a bottle of weed killer, after reading the instructions several times and examining the sprayer it is clear that the instructions are for a completely different sprayer, the one supplied is (I think) a latter version but the instructions are for older (obsolete) version and are completely useless for the newer version (Which doesn't work properly anyway)

What do I do? Write to the firm and tell them they've got the wrong instructions? If I do I'll likely just get the kind of reply I mentioned aboveIs it worth it?
GOG
Northumberland UK

08-05-2011, 11:48 AM

Losos, I think that is another reason why they get away with so much. There does come a point where the hassle seems too much and we say 'sod it' so they win by our inertia.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2011, 01:30 PM

Good customer service is rare - so I must say was stunned at excellent service from Amazon recently. I bought an office chair which broke. So I told them online. They arranged a Parcel Force pick up for the broken chair the following day and refunded the money to my card. How good is that!
RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2011, 03:28 PM

Don't know how you'd cope here in Southern Spain, customer service (or Atencion al cliente) is not in the Spanish vocabulary. The problem is that the labour laws here are so bias towards the employee that it's almost impossible to sack anyone. As a consequence nobody gives a damn.

It was a welcome relief when we spent 3 days back in blighty in January to actually get some service.

We had breakfast a couple of times in Morrisons. The service was quick, cheerful and efficient, the place was spotlessly clean. Visit the cafe in Morrisons in Gibraltar, the staff are ignorant, and the place is filthy.

It's actually getting worse over here, they just do not accept that the country is virtually bankrupt.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk

08-05-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by GOG ->
There does come a point where the hassle seems too much and we say 'sod it' so they win by our inertia.
Agree, but if I can find a few minutes I might just write about this sprayer thing and see what happens.

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
Good customer service is rare - so I must say was stunned at excellent service from Amazon recently.
I've never had a problem with Amazon either, but then of course they are American based and presumably the UK operation has to undergo the same trainning as the yanks get.

Originally Posted by RockriderSpain ->
Don't know how you'd cope here in Southern Spain, customer service (or Atencion al cliente) is not in the Spanish vocabulary.
That did make me laugh since I spend at least six months each year at my wifes place in Czechland and I swear there are no words in Czech for Customer Service either. What I can't understand is that we are right next door to Germany where Customer Service is right at the top of the trainning agenda, as I mentioned above I've just driven from Aachen on the West to Dresden on the East and can vouch for the excellant service.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2011, 06:04 PM

I used to be a mystery shopper for a while after I retired and it never failed to amaze me, that however much was spent by some of the big companies in training, it all rested on Sharon and Tracy at the tills, where the slightly educated pair would natter endlessly about getting famous, getting laid or getting p****d, regardless of whether or not customers were in evidence. If the manager wasn't physically standing within eyeshot they really couldn't give a monkey's.

Cynical, Moi...?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top