Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 04:53 PM

Dame Barbara windsor

Has been diagnosed with altzhimers, apparently she was diagnosed four years ago, but her and husband Scott, decided to go public as she still loves to go out, and they wanted people to know the cause ,if she happened to be acting strangely,
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 04:56 PM

Re: Dame Barbara windsor

Very sad, such a bubbly person.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Has been diagnosed with altzhimers, apparently she was diagnosed four years ago, but her and husband Scott, decided to go public as she still loves to go out, and they wanted people to know the cause ,if she happened to be acting strangely,
I was very sad to hear this, Babs became a regular in my home when watching all the Carry on Films which I adored, so so funny, she was fabulous in the parts she played.

Scott has been by her side for a long time and I applaud him for sticking by Babs in her older years, has to be true love, he could have been off with a younger squeeze but he chose to remain with Barbara.

I feel dreadfully sorry for him too, it will be awful watching the love of his life die right before his eyes both in mind and body.

How we all wish they would find a cure for dementia/alzheimers.

I hope she manages to enjoy quite a bit more of her life yet.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 04:57 PM

Better dead than demented, imo.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 04:59 PM

Oh good for her
I've always admired her joie de vivre
I hope she continues to grab life by its horns and enjoy more lucid moments...than not
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Better dead than demented, imo.
I have cared for a lady with dementia in her own home this past two years and while she had moments where she became upset she also had/has great quality of life and enjoys meals out with family and friends and loves visits to her home even if she doesn't always remember who they are, she still has fun and has a fabulous sense of humour. Towards the end will be a different matter but right now she's still managing to enjoy some life. We have such fun together singing, laughing with each other and eating out. When I feel she no longer has much quality of life then I would pray that she passed quickly.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 05:03 PM

Always affable this decision is just what you'd expect, avoiding any embarrassing moments. Wish her all the best.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 05:04 PM

If my husband gets dementia on top of the brain damage he already has, he will have to go into a home. There is no way on earth I would wish to care for him in that state.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 05:06 PM

Did anyone see the "stressed" daffodils item on tv recently?
It produces a particular type of hormone which can be harvested to make galantamine which is an effective medicine in the treatment of alzheimers
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

10-05-2018, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
If my husband gets dementia on top of the brain damage he already has, he will have to go into a home. There is no way on earth I would wish to care for him in that state.
My husband and I have had conversations at length about this.

I told him if I become too hard to handle he has my blessing to put me in care and he said same applies. I know I would last out as long as I could taking care of him myself (I wouldn't expect him to struggle though) but then I would call on extra care. If he eventually ended up in a care home I believe I would visit regularly and could not just forget him like some people do, of course it depends how you deal with situations and what is good for one isn't good for the other, I understand that.

I made a vow, in sickness and in health and I intend to stick to that vow as long as I feel I can cope.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top