Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 12:24 PM

Tax The Pensioners.

I think I've paid enough tax through my working Life, now they want more for the young. No one helped us so why aren't the younger ones getting on with saving ect, instead of looking for everything to be handed to them. We went without holidays, night's out, and the must have things till we could afford them. Why should today's young be any different.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44029808
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 12:33 PM

Re: Tax The Pensioners.

Did you see the suggestion that all young people should be given 10k when they reach 25 ... courtesy of the taxpayer.

Annoying isn't it. When I was a young dinosaur you set out in life and got off your backside to provide for yourself.
You learnt to budget and you learnt to prioritise what you wanted out of life ... whether that be a home and mortgage or having a good time instead. You could not have both. No handouts.
No wonder some think the country should 'provide' for them with stupid ideas like this.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 12:34 PM

It all sounds very sensible to me.
Scrapping Council Tax, I can't believe my tiny bungalow is band B, the system needs updating to reflect current values!
Pensioners are in work taking jobs that tax paying younger folk could do, so why shouldn't they pay tax on earnings?
I don't agree with the scrapping of Inheritance Tax though, they should keep it for the most wealthy.
I believe Germany give young folk a lump sum, it may be instead of Child Benefit, I can't remember.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
It all sounds very sensible to me.
Scrapping Council Tax, I can't believe my tiny bungalow is band B, the system needs updating to reflect current values!
Pensioners are in work taking jobs that tax paying younger folk could do, so why shouldn't they pay tax on earnings?
I don't agree with the scrapping of Inheritance Tax though, they should keep it for the most wealthy.
I believe Germany give young folk a lump sum, it may be instead of Child Benefit, I can't remember.
And just think ... women aged over 60 wouldn't be having to nab the youngsters jobs if the government weren't hiking up the pension age.
As to tax on earnings from pensions ... that was already taxed at source when it was an income that bought into the pension in the first place.

I'm afraid if daft ideas like those suggested ever come into play they should scrap all child benefit and give tax breaks to anyone without children as they are contributing to a burden on the state that they have not added to.

I think we can all see that something has to give but the current trend seems to be ostracise the elderly and label them a burden.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 12:52 PM

Children are not a burden! We would be in dire straits if we ever get to the position of not having enough tax payers to fund pensions or anything else!
China is struggling to cope with all their old folk.
What a strange attitude!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

08-05-2018, 01:01 PM

Not a strange attitude at all ...

The government think tanks will tell you we need children to help pay for the increasing older generation.
Children need healthcare and education ... in other words supporting for the first 16 or 18 years of their lives when they contribute nothing.
So a suggestion that even then .. they get a further handout of 10k at the age of 25 rather pulls the rug from under the claim that they are going to help support the older generation.
25 is not a kid. It's an adult who should be self-sufficient.
Who paid for their start in life .... you and me.

On the other hand if people choose to have kids .. then that is their choice and their responsibility to fund their upbringing.

Put another way it boils down simply to whom you believe is the disadvantaged in society and therefore requires further help.

I don't believe the young are in anyway needier than the more elderly.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

08-05-2018, 01:08 PM

In fact reading the article ... scrapping the Council Tax is not literally scrapping it to make life easier and pleasanter for everyone.
It's to be replaced with another system and the proceeds to go toward halving Stamp Duty for first time buyers house purchasing.

In other words ... robbing Peter to pay Paul at no additional cost to the government.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 01:32 PM

Agree with the others, if we wanted money we damn well went out and earned it like we had to. Wish our mortgage interest rates were only 5% when we were struggling to get our first house not 15%.

All we hear now is how long it takes to save for a deposit! well it was the same for us back then and we accepted it as the norm
Kids today are too lazy to get off their backsides and save like there is no tomorrow

The word "GRAFT " is unknown to them
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 02:00 PM

From what I have been told, before WW2 many families lived in small terraced houses and if their children married and needed a home, or their elderley parents needed care they would all squeeze into one house.

After the war more council houses were built and when the married children had kids of their own they could apply for a council house.

Some of those people wanted a better life, so worked hard and did without to save towards buying their own house, but the family's grandparents were still looked after by their children.

These days young people all want to have their own house & have children , but never want to take in and care for their elderly parents so I would like to offer them some suggestions.......

Live with your parents till you earn enough to find your own home.
Have children when you are sure you can provide for them for the next 18 years.
The only reason you parents need to go into a home is because they are seriously ill, so if they are just unable to look after themselves when they are older, offer them a home with you and you can look after and care for them..... after all you will all be keen to benefit from their will and they did care for you when you were young and unable to look after yourself.

Young people these days want all the good things in life but are not prepared to work as hard as our generation did to get what they want. I never had children but I still paid for the education of many other people's kids. If they didn't work hard enough to make that education provide for them, why should the elderley people that did work hard give them more money? You never see youngsters without a mobile phone, but you see plenty lying in the streets because they drink too much and often try drugs! Perhaps these are areas where they could save money to put a roof over their heads?
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 02:01 PM

Most of us left School at the age of 15 and went out to work, but these days the kids leave School and 17 then go on to College and don't start work until they are 21 years old, by that time we have already paid NI contributions. At 25 years old they should be in work getting £25,000 per year, we have never earned that sort of money.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top