Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2011, 01:36 PM

The Storms Won't Stop

Wow! Another 140 tornados struct yesterday in the Midwestern United States. At least 11 people were killed. Some of the tornadoes were a mile wide at the base.

I woke up to 37 degrees F this morning here. Weather has gone bonkers this year. I may have to wait until July and my desert vacation to get warm.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2011, 04:49 PM

Re: The Storms Won't Stop

They're moving thru the East Coast as I type: weakened but still some bad tornados have touched down in the area. Hopefully they'll have cleared by afternoon .... as aways, worried about power outages......
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2011, 05:37 PM

I was watching the tornadoes on our lunchtime news, how frightening that must be to see something like that coming towards you. It's mind-boggling to think they are up to a mile wide at the base!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2011, 06:49 PM

Like Mags I've been watching the storms on the news, and they make truly terrifying viewing. Any word on your brother and his family?
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2011, 07:03 PM

No response from mine Barry.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2011, 09:20 PM

Have seen it on the main news this evening...frightening! So many deaths and such devastation...my thoughts are with all those affected.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2011, 09:29 PM

It's passed now, the City was lucky; too many tornadoes touched down in the area, terrible destruction. Worst tornado session in decades ....
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2011, 07:18 AM

Just a thought - and its not a criticism, but given the propensity for Tornadoes across a vast area of the Mid-west U.S., why do so many communities tend to use timber as their main building material for their homes. It is clear from the photographs we have seen of the latest and previous occurrences of very destructive tornadoes that timber houses are no defence against them, and are wrecked in their entirety, but would brick-built houses withstand a strike from a Tornado any better???
bobmielke
Portland, OR

29-04-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Just a thought - and its not a criticism, but given the propensity for Tornadoes across a vast area of the Mid-west U.S., why do so many communities tend to use timber as their main building material for their homes. It is clear from the photographs we have seen of the latest and previous occurrences of very destructive tornadoes that timber houses are no defence against them, and are wrecked in their entirety, but would brick-built houses withstand a strike from a Tornado any better???
Look as an example at Japan, who has lived with constant earthquakes their entire lives. They have the strictest building codes on earth and yet they were devastated by the hurricane & tsunami.

There aren't very many tornado proof homes on earth. We don't live in bunkers made of concrete and steel. Wood is, and will be, the construction material of choice for many more generations. Nature's forces are too great when in the form of a hurricane, flood, tornado or earthquake. You should look up pictures of Mt St. Helens erupting over 25 years ago. An entire mountainside covered in dense forest was flattened.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2011, 02:37 PM

It must be dreadful living with that hanging over you, I wont complain again about the weather up here......oh I dont know....isnt that what we do in England!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top