Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 09:03 PM

Cockneys

Any 'cockneys 'on here ? When I was in Hospital recently another patient was proud to be a cockney.Sadly cockneys are dying out ,Apart from being born within the sound of Bow Bells [ the big church of St Mary le Bow ],but the spirit that made them special has gone,now the east end of London has become new buildings with many none english families living there,or luxury apartments. What do you define as being 'cockney '?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 09:08 PM

Re: Cockneys

My Dad was a cockney, born in Poplar, sadly passed away now.
I often post in cockney, just because I can. You are quite right they must be born within the sound of the Bow Bells.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 09:21 PM

I still meet the occasional one even up here in Edinburgh...not many left now though as you say.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 09:29 PM

My Sister is a cockney
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Any 'cockneys 'on here ? When I was in Hospital recently another patient was proud to be a cockney.Sadly cockneys are dying out ,Apart from being born within the sound of Bow Bells [ the big church of St Mary le Bow ],but the spirit that made them special has gone,now the east end of London has become new buildings with many none english families living there,or luxury apartments. What do you define as being 'cockney '?
I agree. I have heard that there are no more real Cockneys, for the reason you have given: so much of Londonistan is no longer English, and that certainly includes the traditional Cockney area.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 07:27 AM

There is a cost for everything, not least diversification, at least we still have the Yam Yams.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 07:41 AM

My mum was a cockney she lived in the docks area of London during the second world war sometimes she would tell us about the bombing raids she was a young teenager then . When I see footage on the TV of the devastation I then realise how awful it must have been . I can still remember her accent and that of her brothers .
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 08:28 AM

I'm not a Cockney, I hail from West London, but I have what my Mum used to call a common accent, as in I sound like one.

Not that I go round using rhyming slang or anything!

I'm not as broad as Mick in Eastenders, more like Kath

I have found that some northern folk, once they know you're from London, assume you're a Cockney. One Geordie gentleman in particular regularly regales me with comments like...."cor blimey mate" and "it's a fair cop guv"

I suppose it's easy to mistake a London accent for a Cockney one, I can't tell the difference between a Geordie and a Mackem so I'm just as bad
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 08:32 AM

I've only ever known two Cockneys both had a wonderful sense of humour a bit like Liverpudlians (is that a word, it looks funny)
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I've only ever known two Cockneys both had a wonderful sense of humour a bit like Liverpudlians (is that a word, it looks funny)
Liverpuddles.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top