Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 03:36 PM

Schools in UK

Schools are removing analogue clocks from exam halls as teenagers 'cannot tell the time'. This is suppose to be happening in the UK. I imagine the rest of us will be doing the same thing. Seems strange to me.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...nagers-unable/

Teachers are now installing digital devices after pupils sitting their GCSE and A-level exams complained that they were struggling to read the correct time on an analogue clock.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 04:02 PM

Re: Schools in UK

What?.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 04:03 PM

That's just ridiculous, does that mean they aren't teaching children to tell the time on an analogue clock anymore? The kids today are using their brain less and less these days. They use calculators instead of learning how to work it out using the brain, whatever next.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 04:04 PM

Exactly Lion, this sort of thing gets my back up.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

06-05-2018, 04:34 PM

If technology ever fails us these kids are going to be in big trouble! They won't have a clue about anything..
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 04:41 PM

I'm still struggling with decimal coinage!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 04:43 PM

Oh and metric measurements, I can do litres and kilos as I had to at work but metres instead of yards never!

It's what you're used to I suppose!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

06-05-2018, 04:46 PM

I struggle with Metric too. I work it in my head to Imperial then I know what's what..
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Schools are removing analogue clocks from exam halls as teenagers 'cannot tell the time'. This is suppose to be happening in the UK. I imagine the rest of us will be doing the same thing. Seems strange to me.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...nagers-unable/

Teachers are now installing digital devices after pupils sitting their GCSE and A-level exams complained that they were struggling to read the correct time on an analogue clock.
Absolute nonsense.

If a young person, especially at GCE and A-level age, can't tell the time from an analogue clock, they don't deserve to be even sitting the exams.

In fact, I sometimes find it appalling just how little young people know these days.

I'm sure it goes back to Tony B Liar's 'dumbing down' policy which, to be honest, was one of his more successful moves!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
That's just ridiculous, does that mean they aren't teaching children to tell the time on an analogue clock anymore?
I can only assure you that I always did, and that was up to five years ago.

Whether the bloody kids learnt it, I really can't say!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top