Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 10:04 AM

Schooldays

Hi all

Tara just mentioned maths in another thread and it got me thinking about how hopeless I am at maths. I have terrible memories of maths in school because my Maths teacher picked on me something shocking, so much so he ruined my secondary school days. I remember feeling anxious as I was going into his class, he always made a point of asking me to solve maths problems knowing damn fine well I was hopeless and wouldn't be able to answer making me look foolish in front of my classmates. Looking back he favoured the pupils who were bright at maths and I think he should have focused a little more on the less bright people to help them understand how to come to the correct answer. He was a bully and he left his mark on me as all my adult life I suffer anxiety and panic attacks in classroom based courses, luckily in my present job I don't have to do any courses, my training was one to one which was perfect for me. It's such a shame that my schoolday memories are marred because of that one man.

I do however have fond memories of music lessons in school which I excelled at and I do try to focus on that when I think about my schooldays.

I wish I had reported him looking back but I never even told my parents about him and struggled on.

What memories do you have of your schooldays, good or bad.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 10:49 AM

Re: Schooldays

I enjoyed school, but i do confess to taking the odd truant day. I had to travel 15 miles to school , by bus, and my friend Babs & I occasionally missed the second bus, so would think " I can't be bothered going today". We only did it about 8 times, but on one occasion the headmistress stopped at the bus stop and said " Jump in the car girls, it looks like you may have missed you bus" so we arrived at school in style. Babs and I are still close friends and we often smile ,about things that happened at that school

I think pupils always do well in subjects that are taught by a teacher they like and understand, so I suspect that is why Chemistry, Biology and English were my favourite lessons.
I never enjoyed sports lessons, like hockey, but the same teacher also taught modern dance and I loved that.

I will always be glad that I went to that school, not just for the academic education but also for the social skills I learned there.
I really can't remember any teacher at school that I disliked, but I did have a few favorites.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 11:21 AM

If anyone has visited the mock up of a village school in the Victorian Village at Ironbridge that is exactly what my elementary school (4-14) was like in the 50s. The only difference was the sadistic head teacher beat kids from poor homes, whom he didn't like, with a heavy stick not a cane!!!

At 11 I went to the Ladies College as a fee paying pupil, that wasn't too bad. I am still in touch with my geography teacher, which reminds me I must phone her later today.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 08:39 AM

I hated school, really, really hated it. I have no fond memories of it at all. I left at the earliest opportunity in a desperate bid for independence from an over bearing mother.

But despite me having quite a good and well paid job she still ruled me with an iron rod.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 08:50 AM

I hated school with a passion and was very unhappy there.
I was bullied by both the children and teachers.
An avid reader I retreated into books, they made my life tolerable.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 08:56 AM

Same here I detested school and couldn't leave fast enough, in fact being at grammar school at 15years old I had to borrow nine quid from my dad to buy myself out of the final year, best thing I ever did and never looked back....
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 08:58 AM

We were RAF kids and moved around a lot , I'm not sure how many schools I went to but at least 6 so I was always the new girl . We didn't have good education's and also went to different schools in Aden . Never settling into a school was difficult and of course making and loosing friends . I hated school in my last year's and I hardly ever went bunking off all the time . Our teachers were bullys who wore black capes and mortar board hats , they carried canes luckily for me I managed not to be caned . Often passed the headmasters office and the old b........d was thrashing someone .

The official day I left at 15 was a great day although I'd hardly attended for two years . Of course with hindsite I regret it now and had I made more effort and taken exams and training I would have had better jobs rather than menial work I had to do earning a low salary . At 50 I got the opportunity to return to college and retrain , I loved it and to this day still go to college for different courses and now have qualifications I wish I'd had when young .
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 09:06 AM

My school, well the drug taking, drinking, gambling and the sexual innuendo were rife, and the pupils were just as bad..
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 09:40 AM

I can’t remember much about the infant and junior school, they must have been uneventful . However, I enjoyed my grammar school which was strict but not overly. We had quite a few after school clubs we could join, including the H.A.G.S (Historical and Geographical Society) where trips were arranged to various places of interest.

We were not allowed to talk in class unless it was to answer the teacher .... if anyone did, they had to stand outside the classroom door for the rest of the lesson. Rarely we heard of anyone being sent to the headmaster’s room for the cane.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 09:45 AM

I forgot to add to my post , we had to stand up when an adult came into the school room do you remember doing this , one thing it did teach me ( when I was there ) was respect for my elders ,something I've carried forward to this day .

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top