Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
james
London, UK
james is male  james has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2011, 03:46 PM

Photoshopping

so is it seen as art in here I wonder. some to try out and see

from a different approach

the creation of fantasy worlds

Then are the ones that get animated but enough for now
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2011, 04:29 PM

Re: Photoshopping

I saw photoshop in the title and just had to take a look

These are great Jim - nice work!
james
London, UK
james is male  james has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2011, 06:48 PM

Ta Azz the middle one started as a photo from inside a pothole and the final result you see is actually a still from an animation I made to create the planet reflected in the rippling water.
I am putting some into an album on here if you are interested.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2011, 07:04 PM

Sorry James, it doesn't cut it for me, being somewhat of a traditionalist. Surely there has to be more skill to art than just being able to manipulate a computer program?
james
London, UK

18-04-2011, 07:17 PM

No problem each to their own however painting is no more then skilled manipulation of a brush...........
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2011, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Sorry James, it doesn't cut it for me, being somewhat of a traditionalist. Surely there has to be more skill to art than just being able to manipulate a computer program?
Photoshop is, imo, just a tool - just like a brush, or camera

We have this debate a lot on YoPhotographer: Taking or making photographs
james
London, UK

20-04-2011, 12:28 PM

There are many barriers set up. A cartoon by Hogarth is considered art and worth millions. A cartoon by Thelwell however?

Hogarth

Thelwell
james
London, UK

20-04-2011, 12:42 PM

Azz I took a look at the thread and I would say that I create pictures in photoshop rather then manipulate or improve. The only real part of the tiger one is the tiger, the first picture contains no photo. The middle one has no connection now with the original. As I said it was one of the inside of a cave or pothole there was no water, no moon and no hint of a town
The computer programme is just a tool. No programme on its own will create a picture.
It is like the argument that electronic music is not music.

Often I will change them to amuse and have run a fantasy thread elsewhere but that is something different.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
It's interesting that you would point out this common philosophy regarding photographic manipulation. I just watched an hour long debate between top flight professional photographers regarding this exact subject.

As photographers, the photos we take are constantly manipulated from their inception to the final product. We carefully frame the shot, composing by the rule of thirds for the best appeal. We sometimes use flash to artificially light the subject or fill flash in case the real light source is behind the subject.

What photographer, or snapshot tourist, wouldn't pick up a beer can laying in the scene of a beautiful mountain in the background? By doing so he has changed or manipulated the image from the original scene.

We choose lenses to change the angle of view, using long telephoto lenses to bring the mountain closer to us, making it appear bigger in the scene. It's all scene manipulation. It used to be done in the darkroom. The famous Ansel Adams, who wrote entire books on getting it right in the camera, still used burning & dodging techniques once in the darkroom.

Photoshop software, along with a ton of other graphic programs, is just another tool, another path, to the artist's conception of the final image.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

04-05-2011, 12:06 PM

Very well said Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top