Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 01:19 PM

Fraud on your Bank Account

When I came out of hospital and tried to go online to check my bank account it would not let me in.
I rang my bank to find out my card had been stopped for suspected fraudulent use. Apparently someone had used my card on the 10th March to pay for something at Tescos for £2 which the bank allowed. Then the bank stopped the next payment to Tesco for £146 as a suspect payment.

Obviously the card had been with me the whole time in hospital as a nurse had locked it in a draw in the cupboard next to my bed and had taken the key away on my first day on the ward.

I was told the bank would send me a replacement card. One question I was asked was what was my previous address which I thought was strange. I haven't lived there for two and a half years?

I checked my online account this morning and found a payment going out to Netflix for £5.99 which has apparently been set up as a regular direct debit on my new card.
Been in touch with the bank again who put me through to the fraud dept who have cancelled the direct debit and will contact Netflix to try to find out who set this up as apparently they would need more than debit card details to do this???.

I'm really worried now.
I'm going home tomorrow. If I need to use my card who's to say it hasn't been stopped again. Last time they just stopped the card and didn't tell me. What happens if I need food, petrol for car, have to go to a hotel if house is still too damp after the flood to be able to sleep there.

Do I now need to check my account every day to find out if anything is going on.
Shouldn't the bank contact me first before stopping my card if they suspect something???

This is worrying me as I've been targeted twice now in a month.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 02:16 PM

Re: Fraud on your Bank Account

Sorry to hear that MC, but I don't do on-line banking never have done.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 02:17 PM

I check all our bank accounts on-line every day to see that all is in order.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Do I now need to check my account every day to find out if anything is going on.
Shouldn't the bank contact me first before stopping my card if they suspect something???.
The banks have good systems for detecting suspect transactions so they will always be pro-active and stop your card first and then contact you to ask if you recognise the transactions.

It's impossible to know what transactions the thief may have attempted and completed before the card was stopped so yes, just keep an eye on your account for a short while, maybe a week.

I tend to operate with 2 separate bank accounts. One is a savings type account which I can move money into or out of instantly, the other is a regular current account. I put all my money in the savings account where it is safe. I have no card for that account and it is never used for online transactions of any kind.

I routinely transfer money from there to my current account so there is always something in it, but never enough to be worried about. Thus should the current account card get cloned I'm only going to lose a very limited amount of money, and only then if the bank can't stop it and waive the fraudulent transactions, which is what they usually do.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
The banks have good systems for detecting suspect transactions so they will always be pro-active and stop your card first and then contact you to ask if you recognise the transactions.

It's impossible to know what transactions the thief may have attempted and completed before the card was stopped so yes, just keep an eye on your account for a short while, maybe a week.

I tend to operate with 2 separate bank accounts. One is a savings type account which I can move money into or out of instantly, the other is a regular current account. I put all my money in the savings account where it is safe. I have no card for that account and it is never used for online transactions of any kind.

I routinely transfer money from there to my current account so there is always something in it, but never enough to be worried about. Thus should the current account card get cloned I'm only going to lose a very limited amount of money, and only then if the bank can't stop it and waive the fraudulent transactions, which is what they usually do.
I do the same as well.

Years ago I brought something on my debit card for £4000.

Was deducted from my account that day and drove home my purches.

Had a phone call three weeks later from my bank asking if I had done this.

Yes said I But you deducted my money.

Reply was only on internet paper, your money was still safe because because we can claim it back from the other bank (which was the same bank by the way)

With the banking system all money stolen/ transferred can if found out can be transferred back.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 02:52 PM

What seems suspect is the first fraud was using the first card this one today is with the new card I've only had for two weeks.
I've only used it to
Pay for replacement glasses at Specsavers over the phone
Pay online Argos for an airbed. Ex wifes spare room sofa too uncomfy
Pay for a new bird cage at Pets at home. Used pin
Pay for tins of soup at B&M used swipe and go
Pay for some fruit at Tescos main store Pay by swipe and go
Pay for some nuts and milk at a tesco extra store. Pay for swipe and go

I've never had problems with using my debit card before. I rarely carry cash.

So would it be better to transfer money not needed for bills etcetera to be put in a savings account and only transferred back when required.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
What seems suspect is the first fraud was using the first card this one today is with the new card I've only had for two weeks.
I've only used it to
Pay for replacement glasses at Specsavers over the phone
Pay online Argos for an airbed. Ex wifes spare room sofa too uncomfy
Pay for a new bird cage at Pets at home. Used pin
Pay for tins of soup at B&M used swipe and go
Pay for some fruit at Tescos main store Pay by swipe and go
Pay for some nuts and milk at a tesco extra store. Pay for swipe and go

I've never had problems with using my debit card before. I rarely carry cash.

So would it be better to transfer money not needed for bills etcetera to be put in a savings account and only transferred back when required.
With your list of things I would.

Get cash out of my ATM and pay that way.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 02:59 PM

Monday, I would call the bank and put the ball squarely in their court now.
Ask their advice and follow it.
Once they know fraud has been committed they should take responsibility.
You don't say what bank you're with, I've found Santander brilliant dealing with this kind of thing...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Monday, I would call the bank and put the ball squarely in their court now.
Ask their advice and follow it.
Once they know fraud has been committed they should take responsibility.
You don't say what bank you're with, I've found Santander brilliant dealing with this kind of thing...

MC, I agree with Ruthio here.
Phone or go into the bank immediately and tell them everything. Explain you will need access to your money tomorrow.
It's important to get this right as with the best intentions in the world, anyone else may give you wrong information. Do it straightaway.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
I do the same as well.

Years ago I brought something on my debit card for £4000.

Was deducted from my account that day and drove home my purches.

Had a phone call three weeks later from my bank asking if I had done this.

Yes said I But you deducted my money.

Reply was only on internet paper, your money was still safe because because we can claim it back from the other bank (which was the same bank by the way)

With the banking system all money stolen/ transferred can if found out can be transferred back.
Yes this is true even when dealing with a fraudulent online company.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top