Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2018, 07:12 PM

The sundial is in the wrong place.

I've just switched the Tv on. When it came on, i think it may have been the end of the news and a trailer for a new prpgramme. David Attenborough was talking to the Queen, i think they may have been in her garden. They were admiring a sundial, the Queen saying she liked it. But then David Attenborough said, it's very nice but in the wrong place, It's under the trees in the shade.
Fancy telling the Queen she's wrong, she'll send him to the tower and chop his head off. But what i was thinking, you know a couple of weeks ago when the clocks changed, if you had a sundial would you need to move it ?
Oh about the Queen, she just laughed and said perhaps they should move it. She'd never thought about it before.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2018, 07:37 PM

Re: The sundial is in the wrong place.

Well I never!
I didn't watch it.
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2018, 07:47 PM

I think the programme might be on next week sometime, and that bit was just advertising it.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2018, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by SamTheMan ->
I think the programme might be on next week sometime, and that bit was just advertising it.
Oh yes I saw some last night, promoting it.
Watch out for me climbing trees.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2018, 08:58 PM

I've just switched the Tv on. When it came on, i think it may have been the end of the news and a trailer for a new prpgramme. David Attenborough was talking to the Queen, i think they may have been in her garden. They were admiring a sundial, the Queen saying she liked it. But then David Attenborough said, it's very nice but in the wrong place, It's under the trees in the shade.
Fancy telling the Queen she's wrong, she'll send him to the tower and chop his head off. But what i was thinking, you know a couple of weeks ago when the clocks changed, if you had a sundial would you need to move it ?Oh about the Queen, she just laughed and said perhaps they should move it. She'd never thought about it before.
What a good question.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2018, 10:17 PM

Some years ago, a doctor friend of the family, being a trifle eccentric, wanted his sundial to register local time rather than GMT so he had me calculating how many degrees west from Greenwich he was located so he could set it accordingly. (1°47′02″ W if you want to know)

I've just looked that up - a damned sight easier than using a road map to calculate how many miles west and divide that distance into the circumference of the earth.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2018, 10:56 PM

Fancy telling the Queen she's wrong, she'll send him to the tower and chop his head off. But what i was thinking, you know a couple of weeks ago when the clocks changed, if you had a sundial would you need to move it ?
Oh about the Queen, she just laughed and said perhaps they should move it. She'd never thought about it before.

I saw that bit of the interview too, Sam. The Queen laughed didn't she, and said she thought perhaps it used to be in the sun.
I wondered if the trees had grown and caused shadow since the sundial was situated. However, I heard on a later news tonight, that the dial has in fact since been moved, so she must have taken notice of D.A.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 08:03 AM

I saw that, and Im looking forward to seeing the programme next week

I love those Royal programmes when the Queen and the Duke are totally relaxed and at ease talking about their homes and family
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 08:33 AM

Yes I saw it too, it looks to be a charming interview I will have to remember to watch it.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 09:51 AM

Since we live in the 21st Century, have both mechanical and electrical means of recording and telling the correct time, do we really give a stuff where some old biddy has placed her sun dial and that it sits in the shade ???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top