Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 11:29 AM

Staying with my daughter now.

Last night I was shunted off to my daughters. I had a few days staying with my son, a few days with my ex wife but now my daughters got the short straw and I'm here.
I hate putting on people like this and feel like a nuisance.

I'm still feeling really weak and unbelievably tired at times and go dizzy easily but after this week I want to be released back into the wild.

On Thursday it's been 30 days since my last heart attack so as long as I inform my insurance company I can drive again, apparently the DVLA don't need to be informed. I'm not really planning on going far anyway as I will probably get groceries delivered for a while so won't need to drive but will need to do short walks to the park

I'm not expecting to car to start anyway as it hasn't moved since before the 5 March when I had the first heart attack. I will probably have to get the AA out to get it going.

I'm just hoping that my home is ok by then and they will let me move back in.

Has anyone on here any advice on recuperation time after a heart attack please????

At my daughters Peaches and Deigo are looking after me when my daughters at work as you can see from their instructional photo the best way to spend the day. On the sofa asleep.

swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 11:34 AM

Re: Staying with my daughter now.

Hi

Exercise after a heart attack is good.

It also cheers you up, even if it is just a gentle walk.

I had my heart attack and quadruple bypass 16 years ago.

You can have a good life in front of you.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 12:02 PM

Peaches and Diego look like the perfect recuperation package for heart attack recovery! I love the sofa but do you get a look in on it? It looks like they have claimed it as their territory.

I have a friend who had a heart attack and recovered in about six months. But he was in his early forties when it happened. He had to change his lifestyle and chill out a bit. You have had more than one from what you've said so you should be careful and age does have a bearing too. We are lucky you are still with us so take it easy and I'm sure your daughter and son would rather have you with them than worry about you on your own.

The main thing you should do is to not worry or get stressed in any way. Just relax and enjoy the canine therapy.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 12:41 PM

There is no time scale MC, your body will heal at its own speed

Step dad for example was 4 months in hospital and never fully recovered. Oh he lived a long time, but his mobility went. But in saying that, he enjoyed being an 'invalid' and never made any attempt at rehabilitation and mother pandered to him

Please please please, try to get out of the mind set that you are putting people out. You aren't. You are their father and I'm sure that whilst things aren't so easy , they are glad to have you. So stop with the guilt. Guilt equals stress. Stress isn't good for you right now

Listen to the cardiac team. Also maybe ask for social service input. There will be aids that can be given to help you in and out of the bath/shower, on and off the loo, perching stools for when in the kitchen or washing at the sink. And perhaps an alarm system so some one will come find you if you do get a dizzy spell and fall

Yes I know it all makes it sound like you are getting old,mouth you need everything that's available to enable you to live safely alone. Also having some aids will give you more confidence which lowers the stress which speeds recovery.

Gentle exercise is good. Very gentle to start, end of the road and back. Soon as you start to feel puffed, stop, rest then return home. Never push yourself just take it really easy

Your body has had a terrible trauma, it needs as much tlc as you can give it
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 02:29 PM

I'm sorry I didn't know you have been ill, MC. Take your time and enjoy being waited on. That will make it so much easier for everyone if you don't argue.
Get well soon .
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 02:33 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I'm back to Kettering Cardiac Unit on Tuesday for my first cardiac rehab interview. Hopefully I will learn more then.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 02:40 PM

Some good advice up there MC
Take it slowly but surely
Hope it all goes well for you x
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Thank you all for your replies. I'm back to Kettering Cardiac Unit on Tuesday for my first cardiac rehab interview. Hopefully I will learn more then.

Good advice from Missy, MC.
If you have your appointment on Tuesday, then now is the time to start making a list of things to ask them. Ask everything you need to know so it is all clearer in your mind then. Best of luck.
Newcomer
Dorset
Newcomer is female  Newcomer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 04:01 PM

Cardiac rehab is very good. My husband had a heart attack a few years back and he went for about 6 weeks. They will want to know exactly what medication you are taking so it's a good idea to take all your pills and potions with you. They will answer all your questions and explain carefully what each of the tablets are for. Its also nice to meet other people who are in the same position as you.
The one in Bournemouth also had an exercise room and he really looked forward to going. They won't have you doing anything too strenuous so don't worry.
Good luck and enjoy the rest of your life.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 09:01 PM

I've had two Heart Attacks Monday's Child, the first one was back in 2004. I have been a runner for all my adult life and it was a total shock, not just to me but everyone who knows me. Recovery depends on many of factors. During the six week following the attack I walked practically every day, and after six weeks started running again. Unless you walked or ran previously I would not recommend too strenuous exercise now, but try and walk every day and build up slowly.

Are you taking Beta Blockers MC? They made me feel very dizzy and lowered my blood pressure to dangerous levels. After two days I was taken off them, but they must be tapered down, you can't just stop taking them. Check your blood pressure and have a word with your doctor before doing anything.

It also depends on the severity of your Heart Attack. Although your Heart will recover, it will never return to full power. Tiredness is an inevitable part of your Heart Attack, even now I am back to good health and decent running, I suffer tiredness with a vengeance. The only thing to do in those circumstances is to get your head down and have a nap.

Take good care of yourself Monday's Child and try to do some gentle exercise as much as possible, but don't lift anything heavier than a spoon. Avoid stress and if you feel unwell stop and rest, and don't push it....I hope this helps...and good luck with your recovery..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top