Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 04:20 PM

Dyscalculia

Does anyone else suffer from this affliction as I do? It is the inability to do even simple maths.

I can just about manage 1+1=2, after that I am stuffed without my calculator. I have to hope I am given the correct change if it is in different coins, because it would take me forever to work it out. Thank goodness for debit cards. Sadly one of my grandsons and my granddaughter have my affliction, but they are not as bad as me, tutoring is helping them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 05:48 PM

Re: Dyscalculia

I know little about this condition except other disorders such as hyperactivity and dyslexia, can go with it.

I don't think this is something that suddenly comes on in adult life is it, it is usually noticed in childhood. Did it affect your school work very much?

As you say, thank goodness for calculators.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I know little about this condition except quite often other disorders like hyperactivity and dyslexia amongst other things, can go with it.

I don't think this is something that suddenly comes on in adult life is it, it is usually noticed in childhood. Did it affect your school work very much?

As you say, thank goodness for calculators.
It affected my maths very badly, I had several tutors but they didn't make any difference to my problem.

Fortunately I am not dyslexic and have been able to read from an early age. One of our daughters has dyslexia, which we were unaware of, we just thought she wasn't quite as bright as her other two sisters. It was only discovered when she went to university. I don't suffer from hyperactivity either.
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 06:04 PM

Never heard of this Tara, it must be very uncommon. Sure would make things difficult.

So it is heredity I would assume?
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 06:16 PM

It has been the bane of my life. I did well in school in subjects such as English (top of the class), History, Geography etc. But Maths I was at the bottom, lucky if I got 20% right. The worst was 12 out of 100 right.

After my divorce I decided to go to evening classes to go to a class for those of us who struggled with simple mathematics. No matter how I tried, I simply could not do fractions, percentages or anything more difficult. In the end, I gave up.

I can add a column of figures without problems but more than that I cannot do.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

15-03-2018, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Adanac ->
Never heard of this Tara, it must be very uncommon. Sure would make things difficult.

So it is heredity I would assume?
It is quite common. I was the only one in my family to have it, two of my grandchildren struggle with maths but are making good progress now they are being tutored, unlike me to whom tutoring made no difference.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 06:51 PM

I should add, I cant use a cakculator either, they just baffle me.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 07:26 PM

Have you been watching the News this morning Tara, that's exactly what they were talking about, how many people can't do simple maths.

I am definately one of those people, never could do Maths at School, I used to bunk off the lessons, I can do basic Adding, Subtract, anything else I need the calculator.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

15-03-2018, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Have you been watching the News this morning Tara, that's exactly what they were talking about, how many people can't do simple maths.

I am definately one of those people, never could do Maths at School, I used to bunk off the lessons, I can do basic Adding, Subtract, anything else I need the calculator.
I must have missed that news item.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 07:56 PM

I was always useless at Maths in school despite being in the top group.
Perhaps now I know why !
Although it was geometry that I could never get -never knew which angle was what and I hated those problems when a train is going one way at x mph and a cyclist x-(y+ Z) at what point will they intersect arghhhhh!
Mind used to turn to mush !
We also had to use those horrible books of logarithms.
Absolutely none of it stuck in my mind.
i can't even do primary school problems now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top