Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 06:50 PM

Ambition

Do you have it?
Or when you worked...did you have it?

I have never been ambitious...
I work to live .. not vice versa.
Perhaps that's because I'm a working mum and the work-life balance has always been important to me
The only reason I have reached middle management is because I was sort of pushed in to it

I'm being "encouraged" to go for a higher job again now and all I can see are the extra hours stretching before me!!!
Pay rise is significant.

What would you do or would you have done?
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 06:54 PM

Re: Ambition

go for it,with the xtra cash,buy that porche you always wanted
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 06:55 PM

Rhian....you said that work-life balance is important. You have to decide how important the extra money is and how it will affect that balance.

Go with your gut and you can't go wrong.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 06:56 PM

Im firmly in the work to live camp

I gave up my career in 1999 and never looked back. The higher up I went, the more hours, the more pressure, the less down time and family life

Since then Ive only ever worked part time and I wouldn't have it any other way

Money isn't the be all and end all.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Adanac ->
Rhian....you said that work-life balance is important. You have to decide how important the extra money is and how it will affect that balance.

Go with your gut and you can't go wrong.
That's good advice Lee thank you

I shall have to make a pro versus cons list!
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 06:59 PM

Never really been ambitious, just go with the flow really.

I've had a few middle management jobs that I sort of fell into but they were stressful and affected my quality of life so 20 years ago I made the decision to just be an oik. Never looked back
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

14-03-2018, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by doctor ->
go for it,with the xtra cash,buy that porche you always wanted
Even if I had the money I wouldn't get a Porsche Doc!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

14-03-2018, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
Never really been ambitious, just go with the flow really.

I've had a few middle management jobs that I sort of fell into but they were stressful and affected my quality of life so 20 years ago I made the decision to just be an oik. Never looked back
There's a lot to be said for oikdom
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 07:00 PM

This sounds a bit like my daughter Rhian. She is wrestling with something similar at the moment, but her children are still quite young. I have always been a bit ambitious, but you are right, work/life balance is very important. It does depends on what else is going on in your life IMO and whether you would "manage" and/or enjoy the change/challenge - or not. If you think you can do it and your children are grown up enough, I would say to go for it. If possible, try to negotiate the option to return to your original job if things don't work out.

Regards. Aero
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

14-03-2018, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
This sounds a bit like my daughter Rhian. She is wrestling with something similar at the moment, but her children are still quite young. I have always been a bit ambitious, but you are right, work/life balance is very important. It does depends on what else is going on in your life IMO and whether you would "manage" and/or enjoy the change/challenge - or not. If you think you can do it and your children are grown up enough, I would say to go for it. If possible, try to negotiate the option to return to your original job if things don't work out.

Regards. Aero
I was thinking I would do just that, if I tried for it and was offered it Aero
Ask for a year contract initially, as much for their security as my own!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top