Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 02:21 PM

She flattened a stop sign

I have to remind you of my age and that of my sister in law also, so you can see where I am coming from.....
Let's put it this way....I am 75 and she is older...we do things differently as we age.....

One day my sister in law and myself were out yard-sailing. It was a real traffic jam on that corner with the sale going on, my sister in law had to back up a bit.....she actually flattened a stop sign, horizontal to the ground, hahaha.....

The next week, I drove......we were in the little strip mall and I backed right into a brick wall.....hahaha...

Would any of you dare to tell your experiences, that you just can hardly believe you did that.

I had a clean driving record all my life. I was an excellent driver.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 02:29 PM

Re: She flattened a stop sign

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
I have to remind you of my age and that of my sister in law also, so you can see where I am coming from.....
Let's put it this way....I am 75 and she is older...we do things differently as we age.....

One day my sister in law and myself were out yard-sailing. It was a real traffic jam on that corner with the sale going on, my sister in law had to back up a bit.....she actually flattened a stop sign, horizontal to the ground, hahaha.....

The next week, I drove......we were in the little strip mall and I backed right into a brick wall.....hahaha...

Would any of you dare to tell your experiences, that you just can hardly believe you did that.

I had a clean driving record all my life. I was an excellent driver.
I have listed quite a few of mine on different threads!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 08:27 PM

I think I am a good driver, but little prangs and dings have always been a problem for me.
Years ago I just got a new car and thought I would be clever so backed it down the drive instead of going in front ways - straight into the house wall - not once, but 2,3,4,5 times in succession. The drive sloped down supported by timber and the wheels got stuck in between the timber and the drive. I panicked and forgot all about the "biting point" when engaging the clutch and that was how it happened. Bang, bang, bang, over and over again I tried to get out but each time I slipped back into the wall. OH came out of the house, watched my performance for a moment and then went back into the house in disgust. Poor car needed quite a bit of repair, but the house wall wasn't badly damaged at all. HE did eventually come and help me once he had calmed down, but it took me a long time to live that one down.
Another one (again on a hill) was when I was in a strange car and the reverse gear was in a different place. I was at a junction waiting to get out and when I set off into first gear I surprised myself and the man behind me by doing the best reverse hill start anyone had ever seen (so I was told ). I reversed straight back into him and it turned out he was an old boyfriend. How embarrassing. That cost a bit as well. I think I have always had trouble with reversing - even when I don't want to.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I think I am a good driver, but little prangs and dings have always been a problem for me.
Years ago I just got a new car and thought I would be clever so backed it down the drive instead of going in front ways - straight into the house wall - not once, but 2,3,4,5 times in succession. The drive sloped down supported by timber and the wheels got stuck in between the timber and the drive. I panicked and forgot all about the "biting point" when engaging the clutch and that was how it happened. Bang, bang, bang, over and over again I tried to get out but each time I slipped back into the wall. OH came out of the house, watched my performance for a moment and then went back into the house in disgust. Poor car needed quite a bit of repair, but the house wall wasn't badly damaged at all. HE did eventually come and help me once he had calmed down, but it took me a long time to live that one down.
Another one (again on a hill) was when I was in a strange car and the reverse gear was in a different place. I was at a junction waiting to get out and when I set off into first gear I surprised myself and the man behind me by doing the best reverse hill start anyone had ever seen (so I was told ). I reversed straight back into him and it turned out he was an old boyfriend. How embarrassing. That cost a bit as well. I think I have always had trouble with reversing - even when I don't want to.
Thanks for sharing Aerolor, I laughed right out loud when I got to the part where you backed straight into an old boyfriend. I can just imagine how you must have felt....did you say "we have to stop meeting like this" ??

I am happy to hear your story, as I feel a little better now. I haven't read the others yet.....I will now.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 11:45 AM

No me, but Mr Missy

I was still a learner driver and he bought me a car and we spent the day with me driving all over the place to get proper driving experience before my test

Well country lanes are horrendous with sharp bends, very narrow lanes, tractors everywhere, small furry animals jumping out in front of you, Mr Missy not being the most supportive, well I was glad to get home in one piece. Pulled onto the drive and jumped out quick for the loo and Mr Missy said he would garage the car

10 minutes later he still wasn't in so I went looking, and found him in the garage with a dustpan and brush sweeping up glass, and the back window missing

He tried to tell me it had just shattered.

Then I saw the huge dent in the boot

He had got all smart, reversed the car into the garage , and reversed to far and hit the work bench with the vise attached

The car hadn't been insured for 24 hrs and I was putting a claim in

Needless to say, Ive never let him live that one down
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 11:45 PM

Not lately but when I was younger I clipped off someone’s mirror while driving my Ninja. I don’t have a clue what type of car it was or it’s colour cause I didn’t stop.
Bad?
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

15-03-2018, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
No me, but Mr Missy

I was still a learner driver and he bought me a car and we spent the day with me driving all over the place to get proper driving experience before my test

Well country lanes are horrendous with sharp bends, very narrow lanes, tractors everywhere, small furry animals jumping out in front of you, Mr Missy not being the most supportive, well I was glad to get home in one piece. Pulled onto the drive and jumped out quick for the loo and Mr Missy said he would garage the car

10 minutes later he still wasn't in so I went looking, and found him in the garage with a dustpan and brush sweeping up glass, and the back window missing

He tried to tell me it had just shattered.

Then I saw the huge dent in the boot

He had got all smart, reversed the car into the garage , and reversed to far and hit the work bench with the vise attached

The car hadn't been insured for 24 hrs and I was putting a claim in

Needless to say, Ive never let him live that one down
Oh I laughed reading this Missy. Isn't that just the way things happen eh? He takes you out for the day, and then he ends up making a big boo boo.....hahahaha, I guess you wouldn't let him ever forget it.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

15-03-2018, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Not lately but when I was younger I clipped off someone’s mirror while driving my Ninja. I don’t have a clue what type of car it was or it’s colour cause I didn’t stop.
Bad?
I have a feeling a lot of us have done that Bratti. I think we are just so shocked that we keep right on going.....

Thank for sharing
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
I have a feeling a lot of us have done that Bratti. I think we are just so shocked that we keep right on going.....

Thank for sharing
Not my proudest moment but I was more concerned with the damage I did to my motorcycle
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 03:46 PM

My car once backed itself off our sloped drive, into the road. A motorist had stopped to 'let me out' then realised there was no one in the car. Luckily it caught on the opposite curb rather than crashing into the adjacent houses. I always parked it in gear after that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top