Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 05:06 PM

John Lewis - 77% plunge in profits.

It seems John Lewis is not doing so well, even having to lay off staff. They have blamed their problems on not passing on costs to customers, the rise in online shopping and someone on tv even mentioned Brexit (surprise, surprise).

Some might remember that I predicted John Lewis's demise a couple of years ago. IMO the main problem seems to be the new 'buyers' who have turned the store into a shop for the younger market, ignoring their traditional customers. The ground floor of the Oxford Street branch is almost entirely dedicated to make up and includes a nail bar along with other stores. Shoes and clothes are more 'designer' than they used to be and priced out of reach for the average shopper.

Their furniture department (which used to be great) now resembles Ikea with all it's retro 60's designs but at John Lewis prices.

And to cap it all, the staff are nowhere near as well trained as knowledgeable as they used to be.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/...its-slump.html

What do you think?
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 05:13 PM

Re: John Lewis - 77% plunge in profits.

I think you have summed up the situation well, Longdogs. The store was my first port of call for many years but, for the reasons you highlighted, not any longer. The only exception to this is the electrical department where they seem to remain competitive in pricing, delivery and guarantees.

A great pity but "progress" is not always for the best, as they have discovered.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 05:27 PM

Hi

Inevitable,online shopping.

Life is changing.

John Lewis is not the only one.

Topshop is closing a load of Branches,Countrywide went into Liquidation today.

The big restaurant chains are closing branches.

That is the reality of life.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Inevitable,online shopping.

Life is changing.

John Lewis is not the only one.

Topshop is closing a load of Branches,Countrywide went into Liquidation today.

The big restaurant chains are closing branches.

That is the reality of life.
Any problems with online shopping has been brought on by themselves in John Lewis case. A lot of the smaller branches actively encourage shopping online because they don't stock everything as they used to. You can go into the Exeter branch and they will order it online for you. They all have trendy little ipads where they can order while you wait. What John Lewis customers are used to is actually seeing the product they want in the flesh.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 05:35 PM

Our big HMV closing.

My favourite clothes shop LongTallSally only two big shops left, London and Birmingham, all online now.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 05:45 PM

What annoyed me about John Lewis is that they frequently didn't have an item in stock whereas a competitor did - where was I going to go?

That plus problems returning a faulty TV - I didn't see their service as excellent or even average.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 06:01 PM

I am not in the least surprised JL has had a downturn in profits , try looking on Trust Pilot at their customer service reviews.

The Christmas before last my son gave me a JL voucher for Christmas and I purchased a coat online in the January sale . It didn't fit so I returned it (by same day return of post ) and had to wait 14 weeks for a refund. Numerous phone calls and emails proved useless, in the end I contacted the managing director 'Paula' and got an instant reaction and a refund.

This last Christmas I purchased some sleep suites in 2 sizes for my baby boy twin grandchildren and returned a couple.
Again a long wait of a month for a refund.

JL known for decades for their customer service is now a pale imitation of a once superbly run business, I wonder if the downturn came with the departure of Andy Street now mayor of Birmingham. I am not a fan of mayors but have to say I have been impressed with the hands on work of Andy Street. I am sure he is sorely missed at JL.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 06:08 PM

They probably spent too much on their Christmas adverts than reducing their prices!

I like John Lewis, especially for their 5 year guarantee on their televisions and price match.

Meg, You probably needed the coat more but l’m surprised you didn’t use your JL voucher at Waitrose for your food shopping?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->

Meg, You probably needed the coat more but l’m surprised you didn’t use your JL voucher at Waitrose for your food shopping?
Art I had strict instructions to spend it on 'something frivolous' but that is against my nature after a lifetime of thrift.

In the end I did spend it in Waitrose and used the money to buy a new raised bed to grow vegetables
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 07:28 PM

There is a JL in the next town over but I never go in there as it's in the new precinct with all the other "posh" shops. All these shops have what I consider inflated prices compared to what you can get 100 yards down the road in a non precinct shop.

That said I have had stuff from JL online. There are some good bargains to be had but you have to look hard.

The one thing that annoyed me was they use Hermes as their carrier here and Hermes are awful, they left a parcel containing an iPad on top of my recycling bin out on the back road If it hadn't have been for my neighbour picking it up it would have gone walkabout.

So no, not really surprised they are struggling.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top