Join for free
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 08:35 AM

An Amazing Lady

Hi

Many have health issues or disabilities.

The thing is to be positive, it is amazing what you can do.

This lady is proof positive, a wheelchair diver.

https://www.ted.com/talks/sue_austin...n_a_wheelchair

Never give up, I was told in 1991 that I would never walk or work again,I do both,but this lady puts me to shame.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 09:30 AM

Re: An Amazing Lady

Well you are right what a woman! It's like the athletes competing in the Winter Para games right now, all hero's.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 11:25 AM

How wonderful .
Especially as an artistic statement re wheelchairs
Although I would imagine it's easier to dive without a wheelchair .
I don't think people really want to ignore people in wheelchairs they may have been told as a child as I was it's rude to stare.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 01:51 PM

Amazing lady and such a positive attitude to life
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 02:43 PM

She is an amazing lady but I think it's wrong to think anyone, young or old, in a wheelchair could be like that. She finds she can be, others in a wheelchair perhaps can't no matter what their mental attitude to being in a wheelchair might be.

If that sounds not in the spirit of the thread, you'd be right. My upbeat nature has gone down over recent months.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
If that sounds not in the spirit of the thread, you'd be right. My upbeat nature has gone down over recent months.
That's not like you Mart try to find some small positive thing to focus on each day until circumstances improve...x
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 03:03 PM

It's a big mistake to think it's just positive thinking, the lady is amazing but many things many be stopping others doing the same. I'm in awe at my husband at the moment he's coming home hopefully after the doctors sign him off later today but I know he's one on a million and very very many others wouldn't be coming home like this. Nothing to do with positivity it's shear bloody minded stubbornness and a high pain threshold. Others may have other reasons for doing things or not but just having a positive mental attitude won't do it.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
She is an amazing lady but I think it's wrong to think anyone, young or old, in a wheelchair could be like that. She finds she can be, others in a wheelchair perhaps can't no matter what their mental attitude to being in a wheelchair might be.

Hi

I understand where you are coming from.

I am housebound at the moment, solely due to the NHS Cockups.

I remain positive, that is what keeps me going.

I am not going to written off.

I will be driving by Easter, I will get my fit to fly.

I exercise at home, I can do so much more.

Much much more than the Medics said I could do.

Life is for living, I intend to live it to the full.

My son, Guy,has never seen a tiger in the wild.

He will do this year and I will take him to do so.

I am simply not giving in to anybody,ever.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
That's not like you Mart try to find some small positive thing to focus on each day until circumstances improve...x
Thanks Meg. Just a bad day when I feel I can mention it here. I can't always. I'll pick up I expect.

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It's a big mistake to think it's just positive thinking, the lady is amazing but many things many be stopping others doing the same. I'm in awe at my husband at the moment he's coming home hopefully after the doctors sign him off later today but I know he's one on a million and very very many others wouldn't be coming home like this. Nothing to do with positivity it's shear bloody minded stubbornness and a high pain threshold. Others may have other reasons for doing things or not but just having a positive mental attitude won't do it.
Yes, attitude of mind towards illness or disability can't always make a person manage better. It depends what happened or went wrong and what condition it left them in.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top