Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 01:43 PM

Do you remember your first colour TV?

We got one in 1974 - a Sanyo model, I recall and around half the programmes were in colour. It must have been tiny by today's standards - something like 19 or 21" as there weren't many big TVs then.

Did people just sit closer to them? Or did they view from a distance, marvelling at the new technology?

If you were the purchaser, can you remember what you paid for your TV or was it on hire purchase?
Ragdoll
Surrey,UK
Ragdoll is female  Ragdoll has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 02:59 PM

Re: Do you remember your first colour TV?

I seem to remember watching the 1966 World Cup in colour, I would of only been 11, but yes as you say small screen but the actual set was large to today standards. As far as I know we always rented our TV's from Radio Rentals, whilst I was a child.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 03:05 PM

I remember my parents getting their first colour, and poor mum was saying 'I can't come and look: I'm cooking dinner!' (Or whatever was in the oven.)
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 03:07 PM

In 1971, whilst living with my mother and sisters, we had a white Murphy colour television with a lid you pressed to open on the top.

I can’t remember if it was 17” or 21”?

When l was married, we rented a Philips colour television from a local television rental shop.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 03:11 PM

I think we got our first colour TV in the late 70s.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 03:13 PM

At one time we had a colour tv in a cabinet, with doors that closed on it. I thought it quite posh.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 03:14 PM

Ah, this has prompted a nostalgic moment.
Remember all the fun of giving the TV a smack to help the picture along ...or flouncing around the room with an indoor aerial in a majestic pirouette.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 03:18 PM

Yes, what a great memory. I remember my dad coming in with the TV with a walnut console. It was one of those great compromises between my parents.

Because my mom didn't want one in the living room, the console had a door that pulled out and folded down from the top, so it wouldn't look like a television when not in use. Therefore we had this giant-walnut-not-a-television box in her "formal living room."

I also have fond memories of going with my dad to Radio Shack or Sears to get the tubes tested that were forever going bad...

"The Wonderful World of Disney"...Sunday nights. Life was good!
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 03:24 PM

I believe hubby and I...bought our first colour TV in the mid 70's... It was so beautiful...and an RCA, walnut, console model...so very it was...
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 03:31 PM

We got ours in the mid 70's but prior to that i remember looking through someones window in 1970 and watching a colour telly and thinking how posh they were!
I also remember my Mum's friend having one of those colour screens you could slot over the front of your tv screen, only thing was grass was blue and sky was pink, it didn't blend well to what the real colours of things were

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top