Join for free
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 03:24 PM

Will that despicable Chief Constable now apologise???

A couple of weeks ago a Police Chief Constable was very disparaging of those who were homeless, saying many of them were not actually homeless and had homes to go to at night.

Given this piece of news, (see below) I wonder if this Chief Constable is now prepared to apologise???

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...3D429520183_uk
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 03:28 PM

Re: Will that despicable Chief Constable now apologise???

Only if enough pressure is put on him. But will he mean it? Doubt it..
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 03:33 PM

He's a Policeman not a social worker .
And it was Ely not Notts that he was talking about .
It is very sad that this man died but the article says he didn't want to go to a shelter .
Nor do we know what he died off .
Personally I think people should be made to go to shelters in this weather they are obviously not right - no one in their right mind would want to be out in these Siberian temperatures -and need to be told what to do .
The Churches are opening up in many areas giving shelter beds and food .
There are places to go but some people just don't want to go to them .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 03:36 PM

Why should he apologise? What he said is true. The best way to find out if someone is homeless is to walk around at night and see if they are actually sleeping rough. A lot of them are professional beggars who have homes to go to when it gets cold.

It's terrible that people are dying on the streets, it's the genuine ones that need help, not just in cold weather but permanently. The professional beggars however are making this more and more difficult.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 04:04 PM

Many of the homeless people have a dog with them. I do feel sorry for the dog as they don’t have a choice.
I sometimes wonder if the dog is happy living on the street?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 04:08 PM

Theres always a choice.
He made his choice to remain in his space.
You have to allow him that small dignity.
Ragdoll
Surrey,UK
Ragdoll is female  Ragdoll has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 04:15 PM

A lot of the people who are homeless will refuse shelter as they are not allowed to drink and/or take drugs. I feel so sorry for them, that they are that dependant on drugs they refuse any help of a warm place to stay with food and a bed.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 04:53 PM

Nothing is as cut and dried as it is often portrayed.

I gather he was offered space in a shelter but refused?
He might not have initially chosen to live rough (who knows?) but he did have some control over that.
Without knowing 'Ben' I reserve judgement. A sad loss down to the bitter weather conditions.

As to the copper ... I don't think it's feasible to try and pin any culpability on him.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 05:00 PM

Ex-bricklayer, eh. Was he put out of work by all the East Europeans coming over taking these jobs?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 05:00 PM

No point in including the facts on a nasty scumbag thread.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top