Join for free
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 12:06 PM

Misleading headlines

Do you get sick of reading misleading headlines in newspapers and online? I'm not talking about fake news, I'm sure we can all recognise that; I mean the deliberately misleading headlines designed to over dramatize.

Two stories I have seen in recent weeks:

'Major accident at Heathrow airport'.
It was actually a crash between two airport vehicles resulting in a man sadly losing his life.

'Ant and Dec' leave Saturday night take away'
It was actually little Ant and Dec (not that I watch it, honest)

MSN news which appears at the top of my page is particularly bad for this sort of thing.

I watched the ITV news headlines last night and Alastair Stewart seemed so excited about the 'Red warnings' he could barley sit still in his chair.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 12:14 PM

Re: Misleading headlines

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Do you get sick of reading misleading headlines in newspapers and online? I'm not talking about fake news, I'm sure we can all recognise that; I mean the deliberately misleading headlines designed to over dramatize.

Two stories I have seen in recent weeks:

'Major accident at Heathrow airport'.
It was actually a crash between two airport vehicles resulting in a man sadly losing his life.

'Ant and Dec' leave Saturday night take away'
It was actually little Ant and Dec (not that I watch it, honest)

MSN news which appears at the top of my page is particularly bad for this sort of thing.

I watched the ITV news headlines last night and Alastair Stewart seemed so excited about the 'Red warnings' he could barley sit still in his chair.
It must be brilliant for them to actually report some proper news after making stuff up or trying to make some boring occurence sound interesting to justify thousands of journalists jobs. The trouble with 24 hour news coverage is:- There might not be any news for twenty four hours some days....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It must be brilliant for them to actually report some proper news after making stuff up or trying to make some boring occurence sound interesting to justify thousands of journalists jobs. The trouble with 24 hour news coverage is:- There might not be any news for twenty four hours some days....
True. You can always tell when there's no news because the first item is about politics.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by longdogs ->
true. You can always tell when there's no news because the first item is about politics.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 05:25 PM

I agree often the headlines don't have any link to the story at all these days.

I use a google news feed they are dreadful you see a head line someone stormed off a tv show or abused a TV host only to read in the text after you clicked on head line, that the walk out was a joke and the abuse was just people messing around. I'd have still read the stories if they had put an honest headline as I am interested in those shows.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 05:31 PM

I hate it too when you click on the story and it presents you with slides, you have to click every slide to get the next picture or continuance of the article... the slides go slowly in the hope you will be tempted by all the advertisement's surrounding them. zz zz zz
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

02-03-2018, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I hate it too when you click on the story and it presents you with slides, you have to click every slide to get the next picture or continuance of the article... the slides go slowly in the hope you will be tempted by all the advertisement's surrounding them. zz zz zz
That is so annoying. I once clicked on 'Susan Tully as she looks now'. Fifty odd pictures in I gave up.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That is so annoying. I once clicked on 'Susan Tully as she looks now'. Fifty odd pictures in I gave up.
What's really annoying is if you stick with it they have told a pack of lies to begin with, they usually look absolutely fine for a person of their age. Oddly haven't stayed exactly the same as when they were 17 !
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

02-03-2018, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
What's really annoying is if you stick with it they have told a pack of lies to begin with, they usually look absolutely fine for a person of their age. Oddly haven't stayed exactly the same as when they were 17 !
I suppose what we have to accept is that any form of media is there only for the advertising and not for our enjoyment.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top