Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 01:44 PM

No Jersey Royals this Year?

Well, here's one in the eye to all those ever keen to extol the virtues of the Eastern European workers coming in, in their droves and always comparing them to our own (in their words) indiginous workers, who are too lazy to get out of bed and work.

TOO TATER FOR SPUDS

A Jersey Royal potato shortage is looming after Romanian farm workers headed home saying it was too cold to work.

This year's crop of the famous spud could be left to rot in the Channel Island's fields as there is no-one to harvest it.

Traditionally, the potatoes were picked by Polish farm hands but they have stayed away as the economy booms at home.

A total of 75 Romanians arrived last month to plug the gap but only 15 have stayed.

Grower Charlie Gallichan said: "The work did not suit most of them and some said they found it was too cold.

Unquote.

Well, Well, so European workers are not the hardy, hardworking, concsienious workers they are always made out to be. I reckon our own UK Farmhands leave this lot wanting.

What say you?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 01:48 PM

Re: No Jersey Royals this Year?

I say I've worked in cleaning beside many Eastern Europeans and only thing they had on their side made them better than me was age. They were fitter so could move faster. But they had more days off sick and were very fussy about what jobs they actually wanted to do.

So no surprise to me. But that won't impress our farming expert.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 01:51 PM

Why are pickers arriving now the Jersey potatoes won't begin to be picked for another month at the earliest.
Are they going to be paid to sit around until the season starts at the end of March.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 01:52 PM

Having a Farmer for a Partner I know full well how hard he works. I also have to pitch in and help with all sorts of jobs, some I'd rather not be doing.
As for our lot being too lazy IMO if your offered the job...any job, and you don't take it them you should lose your Dole Money. If that was to happen people would work and we'd not be needing foreign workers as they're would not be any vacant jobs for them to do.....Just what I feel, rightly or wrongly.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 02:02 PM

Hi

Our farmworkers are good,the problem being that we do no not have enough.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 02:09 PM

I don't know where they're all going then, because there's a lot at College doing Agriculture and Animal Husbandry. We sometimes get students here as part of their courses to get hands on experience.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 02:19 PM

Hundreds of farm works here.

It's either farm work or tourism around here

The Polish and Romanians work for what used to be Moy Park, who hatch, dispatch and deliver the chickens. Or they have their own businesses
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 02:30 PM

Isn't there machines /robots to howk the tatties now?

I remember when I was a wee Girl older Schoolchildren would get a couple of weeks off the school to go tattie howking,My older Sis' went once and came Home with plenty of pocket money and as much tatties as She could carry....same in the summer school hol's when They would all go up to Blairgowrie for a couple of weeks to pick the berries,it was treated as a working holiday and They all loved it..hard work didn't seem to bother teenagers in those days..
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Having a Farmer for a Partner I know full well how hard he works. I also have to pitch in and help with all sorts of jobs, some I'd rather not be doing.
As for our lot being too lazy IMO if your offered the job...any job, and you don't take it them you should lose your Dole Money. If that was to happen people would work and we'd not be needing foreign workers as they're would not be any vacant jobs for them to do.....Just what I feel, rightly or wrongly.
Hi

I totally agree.

Unemployment here is just over 1%, the only unemployed are locals.

Not many jobs in a small farming village for Media Studies Graduates who dot not want to get their hands dirty.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I totally agree.

Unemployment here is just over 1%, the only unemployed are locals.

Not many jobs in a small farming village for Media Studies Graduates who dot not want to get their hands dirty.
I don't get why the education system and parents allow that to happen. The drive to send kids to uni has a lot to answer for IMO if you live in a farming community you should realise that's likely the work going to be there for you.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top