Join for free
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2011, 03:34 PM

Massive earthquake in Japan

Like everyone else, I was shocked at the news today of the 8.9 magnitude earthquake in Japan and the devastating tsunami that followed. The destruction left in it's path was alarming.... even horrifying.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598

My thoughts and sympathy go out to all those affected...
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2011, 05:56 PM

Re: Massive earthquake in Japan

I have been watching it unfold throughout the day and my heart goes out to all those effected.
Nothing could survive if it was in front of that Tsunami, you even saw cars and lorry's get swept away, at least the birds were flying to higher places.

Disasterous, I have just donated a shelterbox at Shelterbox Cornwall, it felt the least that I could do.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2011, 06:54 PM

I don't think I have ever seen images like those on the news, nature can sure make you feel insignificant. It will take surely take many years and billions of dollars to put straight....if ever it can be.

My thoughts and best wishes go out to all of those affected, but how futile that seems sometimes...
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2011, 07:56 PM

It is a terrible disaster for Japan and possibly others who may feel the devasting affects. The scenes of destruction are truly shocking and my thoughts and sympathies are with the people of Japan.
These disasters bring home to everyone the realisation of how insignificant and helpless humans are in the scheme of things and how little can be done to prevent the forces of nature.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2011, 10:35 PM

Have been following this on the news on and off all day and was shocked at the images of destruction....My thoughts and prayers are with all the people of Japan and others who may be affected by this disaster......
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2011, 03:48 PM

If anyone's interested.....

http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/

This shows all current seismic activity including all the latest aftershocks. Click on the + button (on the map) to zoom in to Japan.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2011, 05:56 PM

Reports each hour things change and shows more and more of the disaster.

I heard that even though buildings were open to anyone there has been no looting.

In this country the buildings would have been emptied and car boot sales set up.

There are so many areas where people are fighting to survive and in this country all we can thing about are spending cuts and where can we protest.

This disaster put life in its true perspective.
GOG
Northumberland UK
GOG is male  GOG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2011, 11:02 AM

I have to agree with Antibrown regarding perspective.

Nature has demonstrated yet again how puny man and his works really are compared to the forces that nature is capable of unleashing.

There is certainly a pragmatic and stoical approach by the Japanese people which is to be admired. In particular they do not wallow in self pity but get on with coping, helping each other and trying to recover.
I believe that a large proportion of our population would have a similar approach and get on with coping, surviving and helping others but sadly there is a fair number who due to having what they want when they want it handed to them on a plate would simply be unable to even try to cope with no water and food and fuel shortages and would scream for "Somebody to do something!"
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

20-03-2011, 06:58 PM

An 80-year-old woman and her 16-year-old grandson have been plucked from the rubble of a house demolished by the enormous quake which hit Japan nine days ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12798807

To think that an 80 year old survived that long in such description is nothing short of a miracle.

Never give up hope!
heleny
New Member!
Epsom,uk
heleny is female 

22-03-2011, 04:30 PM

I saw this in the news. The rescuers were telling the 80-year old to be put on a stretcher, but she refused saying she feels fine, but her grandson was the one who was weak... bless them...

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top