Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2011, 02:59 PM

And your view is...

Gave up on the pressure washing due to rain so I have been listening to some of todays standup comedians and in my opinion they make you laugh as much as Jack the Ripper did.

They could not hold a candle to the likes of Tarby, Ken Dodd, Dickie Henderson, Tommy Cooper etc. What do you think and who is you best standup Comedian?
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2011, 03:48 PM

Re: And your view is...

I have a number of favourites they have different styles but leave my laughing muscles very sore, Ken Dodd, Stan Boardman, Frank Carson, Jasper Carrot, Billy Connelly & Tom O'Connor, Yes Tom O'Connor, live he is very good and rarely swears.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2011, 06:44 PM

I`ve never gone for the comedy of stand ups, but the new batch particularly just seem to rely on shocking the audience with filth to raise a laugh.

Real comedians don't need to, and the best ever stand up of the past had to be Bob Monkhouse....probably!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2011, 07:14 PM

I don't like the new batch either, as you rightly say Barry, they rely to much on sex and over the top vulgarity. I love a good laugh, and it's a skilled comedian who can get laughs without filth. I liked all the lads mentioned above ( I noticed there were no Ladies among them, not surprising really). Believe it or not I used to love Harry Worth, he never failed to make me giggle when he did the thing at the shop window.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2011, 07:30 PM

Oh yes, good old Harry Worth he was such a bumbling funny man, our family loved him and my brothers and I used to try and copy his 'thing' at the shop window. Bob Monkhouse I saw live at Butlins in the early 80s which changed my mind about him, he was hilarious. All time favourites have to be Lenny Henry and Billy Connelly.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2011, 07:36 PM

Lez Dawson always used to keep me laughing and I do like Billy Connolly and also Rowan Atkinson when he did Blackadder. One of the best new comedians I think is Lee Mack - I think he is hillarious. Also got to add Ben Elton into my favourites.
Treacle
New Member!
Derbyshire UK
Treacle is female 

09-03-2011, 07:54 PM

Loved to watch Benny Hill and Morcambe and Wise,not many of todays comedians are funny, to much swearing.

Treacle
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2011, 10:39 PM

I used to love Harry Worth, and he was one of my Dad's favourite comedians.....remember when we were young doing, as Jemflux says 'the shop window' thing when we went into town. Don't really watch any of todays comedians/comediennes-don't really find them funny, and as others have said rely on swearing/sex for their laughs......
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2011, 09:26 AM

Has to be Max Miller - the Cheeky Chappie!!!
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2011, 01:38 PM

The funniest man alive to me was Red Skelton, known as the prince of clowns. He didn't have to say a word to get you laughing.

You never heard a filthy word from Red's lips and he always ended his show with "Goodnight, and may God Bless"!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top