Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2011, 04:33 PM

Near to death!!

What is the nearest death experience that you survived?

I have been in several precarious situations where death could have been imminent and suvived but I think the nearest was when I renewing some old electrical wiring in a factory.

The main switch for the room was situated high on the wall outside the room and some bright idiot had run a steam pipe across the front of it so that the lid would not drop down and I had to reach inside to cut the cables.

Having thrown the switch I reached inside and cut the cables only to find that they were still live and I could not let go of the cutters.
Lots of things flashed through my mind in that few seconds and the only answer I came up with was to step off the ladder and fall to the ground, which I eventually did and it freed me of an electicution death.

Close but still here.
GOG
Northumberland UK
GOG is male  GOG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2011, 06:56 PM

Re: Near to death!!

I believe the closest I came was just before Christmas when I told Mrs.G the new boots that she had just bought looked "Too young" for her.

I only just managed to get out of the door in time before the plant pot hit it!

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2011, 07:12 PM

You had a lucky escape there Gog, you have to be very careful when you make comments on their choice of fashion
Thank God I never had a near death encounter AB, you were very lucky to escape death, you had someone's prayer that day.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2011, 07:33 PM

I had a couple of close calls in my teens when I rode powerful motorcycles without giving them enough respect. I still bear the scars but managed to limp away.

Looking at modern motorcycle accident statistics though, the numbers walking or limping away are becoming even less! Too much power, not enough respect, it will always be a killer I'm afraid, and it's only the luck of the draw, you have no control over life or death sometimes.....
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2011, 08:10 PM

My closest call was about 20 years ago when I was on a training course miles away in Nottingham, I went to the bank with one of the girls on the course in her Suzuki jeep. She went straight over a cross roads and hit another car, our jeep rolled over and over and tipped on it's side. We was stuck in the seats and we could smell petrol! Luckily some people ran out to help us and we manage to get out through the jeep window. We had no injuries except I had a black breast where the seat belt had kept me in. Originally I had said to the girl "I'll just hold the seatbelt as I was having trouble clicking it in", thank God she said "no, I'll snap you in". If she hadn't of I would have been thrown out of that windscreen no trouble!!!!!!

The police were amazed we got out of that alive!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2011, 08:20 PM

I've never had a near death experience, thank goodness.

Reading above what has happened to some of you has made me realise how lucky we are to have you here!

Remember it is only cats that have 9 lives!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2011, 09:01 PM

1993 - had my first Pulmonary Embolism. No pain, just very breathless on any form of exertion. Finally collapsed and was taken to hospital. Blood clot found 2" away from heart at top of Pulmonary Artery. Had it travelled that final 2" I wouldn't be here to tell the tale. Have subsequently had four more and my lungs are now badly scarred.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2011, 09:42 PM

Back in 2006 I had congestive heart failure. When admitted to the hospital trauma unit my blood pressure was 250/150, I was blue & couldn't breathe. I was a 3 pack a day cigarette smoker when I was admitted and have never touch another cigarette. They placed in intensive care for two days with nitroglycerin being pumped into me until they could ween me off of it and place me on pill forms of blood pressure medication. I was told my heart, kidneys and liver were twice their normal size trying to compensate for the fluid build up stress all my organs. That was 16 years ago and not my BP is 130/84 and I'm free of cigarettes. That was a close one!
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2011, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I had a couple of close calls in my teens when I rode powerful motorcycles without giving them enough respect. I still bear the scars but managed to limp away.

Looking at modern motorcycle accident statistics though, the numbers walking or limping away are becoming even less! Too much power, not enough respect, it will always be a killer I'm afraid, and it's only the luck of the draw, you have no control over life or death sometimes.....
I can relate to your experience. I started riding in 1980 and have put over 250,000 miles on street bikes. My last bike was a Triumph Rocket III Touring, a 2300 cc monster. I know I have a guardian angel watching over me because I rode like a fool sometimes. Now my only bike is a Piaggio BV250 scooter. I love it as it will still do 70 mph and gets 70 mpg.

dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2011, 12:32 AM

I'm very blessed never to have had such an experience. Someone was looking out for you all; it wasn't your time yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top