Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2018, 11:07 PM

Treasured Moments of Childhood

What are your most treasured moments or happiest times you remember from your childhood ?

This topic is from somewhere else, and sadly some people said 'none' . How sad is that ?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2018, 11:16 PM

Re: Treasured Moments of Childhood

My second birthday.

I had been very ill with double pneumonia and had missed Christmas. Was surprised to wake up on my birthday (Jan 28th) and find the oxygen tent had gone and my father had put the Christmas tree lights all around my bedroom window.

My older brother had spent his pocket money on one of those books that had a cardboard figure to cut out on the front and back - and the pages between had clothes - also to be cut out - these had little tabs to hold them onto the figures. He sat on my bed and cut them all out for me.

My auntie came - and brought me a soft furry tiger, and a friend of mother's came and gave me two small pictures illustrating the nursery rhymes "Twinkle, Twinkle little star" and "Sing a song of sixpence"

I still have the tiger and the pictures.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2018, 11:44 PM

My special 'map' dress. So bright and full of colour.

Being part of summer picnic days with my best friend and her family in the local National Trust park. And sitting in their Austin Sheerline. Still smell it

Staying with my rellies down south and looking round castles.

My grandma's gravy - to die for

Going to sleep listening to Radio Caroline..

Playing French cricket in the street.

The bestest ice cream van coming round with his music playing.

Making a tent with the prop and a blanket and playing house with my best friend. We made tea and coffee with sand or soil and water

Edited:

Actually going to sleep listening to Radio Caroline was as a teen not a child. Oops. Still it made me happy as a teen.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2018, 11:48 PM

Gosh .. I've probably a few but 2 sprung immediately to mind. Made me smile.

1) Cattle Watcher. There was a field with cows in it at the bottom of the garden. Trouble was there was a hedge in the way. Hawthorne. I found a handy small old tree stump and as a nipper, every single day, balanced on it on one foot for hours and leant in the damn prickly hedge watching the cows wander past on their way home to milking.
And this is how I grew up to have bow legs but wouldn't want straight legs for the world.

2) Sentry Duty. Dad used to get about on a Honda 90 and I used to wait for him to come home from work .. I'd stand with a long garden cane over my shoulder like a soldier on sentry duty and chase him down the drive waving it when he puttered past. I think I annoyed him a bit sometimes.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 12:06 AM

Spending every waking minute at local stables, learning about horses, mucking out, grooming etc. A litter of puppies were born there once and I took one home (when it was old enough of course). Mum said he had to go back next day - he never did.

Laying on the floor with my bare feet up on my Nan's lap. She used to tickle them with her door key which she always kept on a big ring over her finger. I used to love that.

My horrid brother chasing me upstairs to thump me when he was in a temper. I used to lock myself in the loo till he'd gone.

Being given the schools guinea pigs to take home for the summer holdiays. Dad always moaned, every year.

Putting my beloved pet hampster in an empty chocolate box to bury him when he died. I put the box in the hole then took it out again. My brother made me put it back down the hole, but I took it out again! I couldn't leave him down that bloomin' hole.

A few days before my 13th birthday, burning one leg with boiling water. Mum pulling my wolly stocking off and my skin coming off with them. Hospital visit, but I got better eventually.

Dad starting his own business in plastics.

Making Mum look under the bed every night before I'd get in it.

Going to Sunday school. Joining the Brownies.

I'd best shut up now.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Making Mum look under the bed every night before I'd get in it.
Oooh you nudged a memory with that Mups - my dad made the bed lovely ... all the sheets tightly and snuggly fitting under the mattress. It was sooo comforting sliding down into the cotton sheets without moving them one tiny bit.
Loved that tightly snug feeling

Some Sundays dad came home with chocolates. I think they were called St Peters or something like that. They were circular discs wrapped in foil. Days like that were times to watch an old film with him smoking a cigarette and letting it rest in an ashtray causing a hanging fog in the sunlight that shone through the window. (Healthy or what )
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 12:30 AM

Lovely thinking back isn't it, if they are nice memories anyway.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 12:31 AM

Sitting at the dining table being very quiet in case my father used the short cane he kept on the table. Something I will never forget.

All the weekends he never ever played football or anything with me.
Ii got the impression it was the done thing to have children, but they were to be seen and not heard. Or that is what it was like at home in the latter half of the 1940's

Happy childhood occasionally but I can't remember them
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

07-02-2018, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Sitting at the dining table being very quiet in case my father used the short cane he kept on the table. Something I will never forget.

All the weekends he never ever played football or anything with me.

Happy childhood occasionally but I can't remember them
Aaaah, realspeed
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Aaaah, realspeed
One got used to it not knowing any different. So spent a lot of early childhood by myself.

Dad was bought up in the victorian era in a big house with servants and that he carried on and behaved with me and my sister.

Not his fault it was how he was bought up

Best thing I ever did was meeting Sue and marrying her

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top